TV Series

How long does THE WIRE take to become amazing? I'm only 5 episodes in Season 1 but its just ok at the minute.
I gave up one episode into season 2 and I only got that far because people said it was so good. One of those series everyone hypes up and I just dont get why.

TV is funny like that, especially older series (which I guess the Wire has now fallen into). Much has been pillaged and copied so if you hadn't seen it you'd think they were repeating other shows.
Same with Seinfeld. Hard to watch as TV comedy as it's been done again by other shows. I tried to watch it a few years ago but couldn't break into it. Then last year I tried again right from the start when the whole lot was on Netflix. Now think it's the most enjoyable comedy/tv series I've ever seen. It's top notch theatre really with laser guided comedy (why Curb is so good too).
Wire remains the benchmark no matter how much 4k Netflix shows have changed the TV landscape (Mad Men is sublime too).

Obviously according to @quiet_riot we aren't 'normal level headed human beings' then...
I'll stick with it. Like i say i'm only 5 episodes in but its just ok so far.

Just watch it all. It will stick with you, you'll think about the characters months later, their plights, their foibles.

It's not about police and criminals, it's a study of society and its people.

It takes 2 episodes if you're a normal, level-headed human being.

Quite simply the best series put to film, ever. 5 consistenly class season, 50+ memorable characters, a million quotable lines. Perfection.

57dab8d9cd26cd0056d9b035-5808500695cee4003cf1f2e2.jpg

I often find, that if you grew up in some leafy suburb, they don't tend to get it, but if you grew up in and around inner city, you do.

PS, you tell me you didn't shed a tear with Wallace ?

There should be a special place in hell for Stargate Universe, the SG1 and Stargate Atlantis series were excellent, only watched one episode and fired it off, it's shouty and angry with no comedic value.

You're right! It does look dated. But everyone bums it so im trying to stick with it.

It is of its time.

It is probably overrated, by today's standards. it predates well scripted serious dramas by a good decade, and still has some top tv moments. Slow to get into, slow to get out of, decent in the middle.

Last edited:
It takes 2 episodes if you're a normal, level-headed human being.

Quite simply the best series put to film, ever. 5 consistenly class season, 50+ memorable characters, a million quotable lines. Perfection.

57dab8d9cd26cd0056d9b035-5808500695cee4003cf1f2e2.jpg

I think of myself as a normal level headed person. And i do appreciate and like the wire. But it did take me a good 7-9 episodes, at second attempt to get into it. I can see how Having been spoilt by recent successful drama series, the wire now is less robust than it was in its day.
It is also a lot more formulaic and repetitive than people like to admit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.