House of the Rising Sun / Animals

To be honest, I forgot he was in the Animals. Eric Burden will always be the Animals to me and it is his voice that makes Hotrs so distinctive and unique.
There is a brilliant version of HOTRS (IMO better than the Animals) by a band called Geordie. The lead singer was Brian Johnson who, of course, went on to front AC/DC.
Have a listen

There is a brilliant version of HOTRS (IMO better than the Animals) by a band called Geordie. The lead singer was Brian Johnson who, of course, went on to front AC/DC.
Have a listen

Thanks for posting. I saw Geordie live at some ballroom in either Dunbar or Eyemouth in 1973. Still prefer Eric Burdens version though.

Have a listen

That’s a good rendition. However the versions of songs first heard in your youth are always very hard to beat. The Animals version had a simple, raw and earthy quality.

My understanding is that the Animals heard the song on Bob Dylan's debut album. Their electric rock version influenced Dylan's decision to go electric which of course led to the famous 'judas' heckle at the Free Trade Hall.

Back in the mid 70's my sister and her then boyfriend went to see an Alan Price gig
They had VIP tickets and this entitled them to go to the bar after and mix with the musicians and the man himself
Alan Price bought everyone a drink and the barman told him how much the round was, which from memory was something like £105.20
Price said to the barman "show me the receipt and tell me every drink that's on there"
All the guests were like "oh fucking hell the tight twat"
So the barman listed every drink and its cost and totalled it up to the £105.20
Price gave him £120 and said "Keep the change"

Apparently something similar happened in Cream. Pete Brown and Jack Bruce got most of the royalty cash. Brown wrote a lot of lyrics and Bruce wrote the melody to the lyrics.
according to statements from Baker, and an explanation from ex police drummer Stuart Copeland, in the doc. film Beware, Mr. Baker. Drums and Eric's guitar were just part of the arrangement and got very little. Baker wasn't happy, saying he got basically nothing, when it was he who put the band together.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.