Boss who put everyone on $70K a year

Where do you mention Aguero in your post?
In my subsequent post:

"BTW and a little OT perhaps, but I find it quite ironic how many people object to hearing that top exec X earns say £4m a year, and yet seem perfectly OK with Sergio Aguero earning say £10m a year. City Group is a small company by many standards - compared to a Unilever for example - and yet we have many employees on many millions a year, and this is deemed perfectly fine. But if Unilever want to pay someone £10m a year, it's a travesty?"

So do you suggest we cap all our players salary say £10k/week? That is surely enough?

Brilliant.

I have a e-commerce business and one of the major suppliers in the UK for products we sell is a cooperative where the entire workforce has a say in hiring and firing, they take turns each month to do all the roles so one week someone is on the warehouse floor and another they might be running the company and they all earn £24 p/hour.

I'm with you on this.

Yes, a lovely thing to do and he should be applauded greatly for it. But it can only ever be a novelty and good fortune for the formerly low paid who work there. Nothing more.

As a model, it is unsustainable.

(a) it makes normal businesses uncompetitive with others which pay less. (And even if your country is all communist and all your domestic competitors are in the same boat, then other competitive nations are not), and

(b) Reward people too much for doing the minimum and sadly, people being people, many of them will choose not to work harder to get extra, because there's no extra to be had. So it encourages idleness and again sadly, many people abuse it and take advantage. Over time it leads to only cabbages being available on the shops shelves and cars like Trabants. We all know this - apart from the loony lefties camped out on the Conservative Party thread of course.

As mince x2

I'm with you on this.

Yes, a lovely thing to do and he should be applauded greatly for it. But it can only ever be a novelty and good fortune for the formerly low paid who work there. Nothing more.

As a model, it is unsustainable.

(a) it makes normal businesses uncompetitive with others which pay less. (And even if your country is all communist and all your domestic competitors are in the same boat, then other competitive nations are not), and

(b) Reward people too much for doing the minimum and sadly, people being people, many of them will choose not to work harder to get extra, because there's no extra to be had. So it encourages idleness and again sadly, many people abuse it and take advantage. Over time it leads to only cabbages being available on the shops shelves and cars like Trabants. We all know this - apart from the loony lefties camped out on the Conservative Party thread of course.
Have you read the article? I' d agree with you and would assume the same, but it appears all the figures suggest otherwise in terms of turnover/profit and work ethic. It has to be said though that the work ethic may be sustained in this case by the fact that the employees are aware they'll get half as much money for doing the same job elsewhere.

Have you read the article? I' d agree with you and would assume the same, but it appears all the figures suggest otherwise in terms of turnover/profit and work ethic. It has to be said though that the work ethic may be sustained in this case by the fact that the employees are aware they'll get half as much money for doing the same job elsewhere.
I scanned it.

I think the point that needs to be made though is that it is not a sustainable model. The point needs to be made because some people are too dim to understand otherwise and go off thinking "what a great idea, why don't all companies do this." The bleedin' obvious answer is because it would not work.

It might work in this very specific case, but let's use our imagination and think how this would work in another sector. Let's take say er, English apples. Can you imagine what it would do for sales of our own apples if we paid the pickers £50 an hour? You'd never see a Cox on the shelf ever again. The entire country would be flooded with French Golden Delicious and the whole British apples industry would cease to exist.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.