The Boxing thread

Regarding the gloves, years ago Billy Collins fought a kid called Luis Resto. Collins got busted up bad, at the end of the fight his corner checked Restos gloves and realised his team had removed padding so he was landing concrete punches. Think he was banned for some time.

Theres a clip of Freddie Rosch setting his stall out before doing the wraps, cant remember the fighter but an interesting watch.

I think he ended up killing himself. Awful.

Regarding the gloves, years ago Billy Collins fought a kid called Luis Resto. Collins got busted up bad, at the end of the fight his corner checked Restos gloves and realised his team had removed padding so he was landing concrete punches. Think he was banned for some time.

Theres a clip of Freddie Rosch setting his stall out before doing the wraps, cant remember the fighter but an interesting watch.
Concrete in the gloves you mean? He deserved more than banning.

Had to edit that part about the wraps always going home with the fighters, I'm not even sure that's true anymore(it's from 2009 so the rules could have changed)
http://wbcboxing.com/downloads/RULES_FOR_CHAMPIONSHIP_FIGHTS_-_SYNTHESIZED_09.pdf

It is strange how the rules vary from belt to belt and even the place where you are fighting. There should be one overarching authority in boxing in my opinion.

Last edited:
Concrete in the gloves you mean? He deserved more than banning.

Had to edit that part about the wraps always going home with the fighters, I'm not even sure that's true anymore(it's from 2009 so the rules could have changed)
http://wbcboxing.com/downloads/RULES_FOR_CHAMPIONSHIP_FIGHTS_-_SYNTHESIZED_09.pdf

It is strange how the rules vary from belt to belt and even the place where you are fighting. There should be one one overarching authority in boxing in my opinion.

Not literally but removing the padding meant the impact made a mess of Collins. Only Duran had hands of stone buts that's another story ; )

Not literally but removing the padding meant the impact made a mess of Collins. Only Duran had hands of stone buts that's another story ; )
Oh not quite as bad as that then, yeah the padding is there to both protect the punchers hands(which can break easier than people realise) and the opponent from damage.

That's the thing. Collins v Resto was on the undercard of a Duran fight if my memory is correct.
Some guys must just have dense hand bones I guess, there's little chance of that repeating these days. It was a bit damning that Margarito caught so many off guard, I wonder how long he was doing that.

Anyway, some good videos on hand wraps, with the American rules laid out. The amount permitted is excessive because they don't see it as much of an advantage for the puncher, stacking is all about surgical tape, gauze, surgical tape, gauze in layers. That's not what was seen in the Canelo footage, they just pointed out how much thicker his wrap was vs GGG's wrap in a side by side.

Last edited:
Some guys must just have dense hand bones I guess, there's little chance of that repeating these days. It was a bit damning that Margarito caught so many off guard, I wonder how long he was doing that.

Anyway, some good videos on hand wraps, with the American rules laid out. The amount permitted is excessive because they don't see it as much of an advantage for the puncher, stacking is all about surgical tape, gauze, surgical tape, gauze in layers. That's not what was seen in the Canelo footage, they just pointed out how much thicker his wrap was vs GGG's wrap in a side by side.

I did the wraps for my cousin who fought at bowlers few years ago. Hes a southpaw but damaged his right hand sparring couple of weeks before. I loaded up on his right hand to give him more protection but not an advantage to hurt his opponent. Andy Lee watched Wilder getting his hands wrapped and Wilder had his boy watching Fury. Times have changed for the better but shit still happens depending on levels.

I did the wraps for my cousin who fought at bowlers few years ago. Hes a southpaw but damaged his right hand sparring couple of weeks before. I loaded up on his right hand to give him more protection but not an advantage to hurt his opponent. Andy Lee watched Wilder getting his hands wrapped and Wilder had his boy watching Fury. Times have changed for the better but shit still happens depending on levels.
That wont stop the Wilder fans, they are the Liverpool fans of boxing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.