Electric/Hybrid Cars

I have always found it strange how we still rely on the combustion engine and there has been no great change in the concept. When you consider the advancements in other areas over the last 100 years or so, such as space travel, computing, telecoms etc. But the combustion engine has stayed basically the same. Over the years there have been rumours and conspiracy theories that better systems are out there but kept secret to protect the big oil businesses. What do you guys think?

I find it hard to believe that no other engine type hasn't be researched given the progress in other areas, if you give the population free energy/better forms of energy generation particularly non carbon based. Failure of the capitalist system would speed up.

I have always found it strange how we still rely on the combustion engine and there has been no great change in the concept. When you consider the advancements in other areas over the last 100 years or so, such as space travel, computing, telecoms etc. But the combustion engine has stayed basically the same. Over the years there have been rumours and conspiracy theories that better systems are out there but kept secret to protect the big oil businesses. What do you guys think?

I did work experience when I was 15 with a guy who claimed his best mate had been shot because he'd refused a buy out from a big oil company for his car engine that ran using water.

Don’t know mate. But it also strikes me that hybrid car technology differs little from U-boats in WW1.

Petrol Ped on YouTube has done a very comprehensive review of the build process and the car, it looks and sounds brilliant other than a real world range of 120-140 miles (I think that's what he says).

Thanks mate. For us high miles isn't a huge consideration as we're very much looking for a city car.

To be fair there have been massive advances over those 100 years to develop internal combustion - you look at a petrol engine from the 1910's with all the valve springs visible then think side valves, over head valves on to over head camshafts, carburettors, mechanical fuel injection, electric fuel injection, catalysts, turbo's - all have been developed to make cars faster, more efficient and less pollutant.
On diesels they have gone from mechanical to electrical pumps to common rail systems, turbo's , particulate traps to name but a few developments all in the same interests.
The problem hasn't been development its been the sheer growth of vehicle use thats causing the spike in issues. You watch a travelogue programme from the 80's showing film from India, China or Vietnam for example. Cities in developing countries packed solid with people on pushbikes, or if luck a Honda cub. Now they are more developed their people look at the first world and fancy a bit of what we have so get cars and all of a sudden their cities are full of cars too.
There has been a failure to develop technology parallel to internal combustion so that when we got to where we are real viable alternatives were on offer.

I find it hard to believe that no other engine type hasn't be researched given the progress in other areas, if you give the population free energy/better forms of energy generation particularly non carbon based. Failure of the capitalist system would speed up.
do you not think the big oil/car companies wouldve bought that technology up and shelved it so they dont get screwed, imagine a car that can run off water, the middle east would collapse overnight, anyone making combustion engines bye bye.

do you not think the big oil/car companies wouldve bought that technology up and shelved it so they dont get screwed, imagine a car that can run off water, the middle east would collapse overnight, anyone making combustion engines bye bye.
No way that being invented even in someones shed somewhere in the world making a home made engine it would still be a secret there would be people all over the world working on any theories..

Typical city - bought by owners with oil wealth beyond calculation, so some rag invents a car that runs on water :-(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.