#17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he played as a winger for them as well, and then by the end shifted to the 10?

His current role as our 10 makes the most sense, he can still press for ages, but doesn't NEED elite pace, and can instead feed our pacy players.

That being said, he has this "Yaya-like" burst he can do where from a stand still he just bulldozes past players with his upper body, he is playing like Prime Yaya for us right now, and for a while.

He was the number 10 in a 4231.

Hes no slouch now, but back then he just had more. Aguero was the same before his injuries, just had that 5% extra to show defenders a clean pair of heels whereas now they are often fighting someone off when they make the killer pass or get a shot away.

Look at pictures of his first year with us; he's developed quite some muscle mass. It's not the same player and man. He was a boy; "Let me talk! Let me talk!". Wouldn't happen today. He's a leader now, like you said in your post.

I was watching Wolfsburg clips yesterday too - I do think he's lost a fair bit of pace from the 2 knee injuries.

Yeah I think you're right but he's still quick enough to stay ahead of his man once he beats him. His directness and decisiveness make all the difference in that regard too.

During Sterling's poor run of form he kept bursting through into the opposition half but then slowing down, second guessing himself, waiting for options and inevitably letting a defender catch up and rob him of the ball or, at the very least, giving them time to get back into defence.

Once Kev skips around a couple of players, you know they're not getting back in time to help stop the attack. He's either just about quick enough to stay ahead of them or he's already decided which pass he wants to make.

Pep Guardiola: "It is not necessary for me to say anything about Kevin De Bruyne - just look at how he plays. Consistency, influence in the final third, desire and positivity. He doesn’t feel pressure and likes to play in the big events - an exceptional player.”

"I asked him, ‘Kevin, what did you feel before you took that penalty [against Madrid]’, he said, ‘I’m going to score’. I say, ‘Kevin, don’t forget, do the simple things properly’. Sometimes he’s alone and might lose the ball..."

"He’s able to see something special and you have the spaces no one else can see but he’s improving. He’s still a lot of years to play and always you have the feeling when he’s on the pitch that he’s never disconnected..." #MCFC | @ManCity

“With these players, the challenge comes from themselves. If you have to push them to be something special they are not big. I don't like players who complain. If a guy wants to be better than he already is then it's up to him..."

“I don't believe too much in trying to seduce them to become better players. They all know what it takes to improve – so it has to come from them. The big things in sport always come from inside the players. Not the trainers..."

"The one detail that all the best players have is to never complain. They don't complain to the manager, club, because they know it is up to them to become better day by day. The others, they are ones who make reasons why they can't do it..."

"That's why they change clubs all the time and never end up with a top club. The big players look at themselves. When Kevin [De Bruyne] helped us get 100 points he still wasn't good enough to be the best in the league. Maybe in the future.”

I'm a Belgian who has followed him since time memorial.
He hasn't lost any pace. If anything he has gained power and the ability to hold people off.
Maybe he was more playfull during his Wolfsburg years. But more frustrating as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.