Rodri - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s a good player, he’s had a fairly good first season. Like many players especially those adapting to Pep he’ll have an even better second season after a full pre season.

I cannot argue with that assessment. I tend to think he was more good than bad yesterday, and that most of his “bad” moments were down to the opposition doing their jobs well, but I personally have no issue with an assessment that sees it it slightly the other way.

I just didn’t think many of the initial assessments offered took in to account the opposition, his role in the team, and the likely instructions he received from Pep for this specific match based on the pattern of his play I observed. When you factor in those elements, I think he did a decent job.

It was by no means his most impressive performance, but I thought he was solid and contributed to our historic victory, and I just can’t find much fault with that.

That said, as is the case for any other player on the pitch last night, I am sure Pep has a 15 page list of things he’ll want Rodri to improve on.

Thus is life under Pep — if Rodri had given a performance of the tournament Pep would have only offered 10 pages of notes. ;-)
The one thing I thought Madrid did very well for 3/4 of the game was press high and put pressure on our defence and pivots. They also hunted in packs of three or four quite well. He had less space and time to operate than in some games and that caused him problems. Maybe that’s why I was too harsh. I want him to be a fantastic replacement for Fern and be world class. The stage was there for him yesterday. He is probably more aufait with Madrid than anyone on our team and I really expected him to shine. He didn’t. I also noticed that Laporte was playing very conservatively from the start so I wonder if he was fit to play. That definitely exacerbated things and our usual transition from Eddie forward was certainly creaky at times. Anyway, a great win and as you said, everyone contributed. Roll on Sunday.

I think he bossed it today, and the goal was a fucking nice bonus too. And he almost scored another header!
Not to mention he setup the opener with a beautiful lofted pass.

He was absolutely everywhere in midfield, as well.

Continues to get better as he settles in.

He just edged Phil for MOTM for me.

Surprised the thread isn't busy. Was faultless in the middle of the park, played a crucial part for the 1st goal and scored the winner. Why ask for more from a DM? Has already scored 4 goals this season. Great player.

The one thing I thought Madrid did very well for 3/4 of the game was press high and put pressure on our defence and pivots. They also hunted in packs of three or four quite well.
Contrary to popular belief midfielders and especially the pivot get a lot less time on the ball in Spain. Teams in that league are much more adept at performing a well organised high press.
That's why all these Spanish midfielders are so unbelievable press resistant when they come here.
Flame away. It's the truth.

Says a lot about him that he seems to up his game in the important matches. Said from day one he is a class act and at 23 is perfect for us - just don't get those who say he's too slow cause that my friends is rubbish.

He is fine player. His first season so of course there is problems at times. I don't see anything wrong with him.

Says a lot about him that he seems to up his game in the important matches. Said from day one he is a class act and at 23 is perfect for us - just don't get those who say he's too slow cause that my friends is rubbish.
Couple of occasions today one important one right at the end where he fouled someone and could have cost us. He needs to play alongside quicker players in my opinion

Couple of occasions today one important one right at the end where he fouled someone and could have cost us. He needs to play alongside quicker players in my opinion

Can't remember that occasion right at the end, he was fantastic today. It's baffling so many City fans don't really get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.