John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can’t fall over in a cup final. It was like what happens in an anxiety dream!

He played well enough overall but I think it’s probably best for everyone if he moves on

You can’t fall over in a cup final. It was like what happens in an anxiety dream!

He played well enough overall but I think it’s probably best for everyone if he moves on

Some on here are happy to forget his error because he played decent in the last 10 minutes and more importantly because we won.

He cannot be trusted. That is why our £50m, England international, is now 4th choice (at best) centre back and we would rather play a 34 year old midfielder back there instead.

I am all for defending our players but sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade.

I feel sorry for the lad to be honest, 2nd half he showed what a good defender he can be but injuries and mistakes have pushed him to the back of Pep's plans. You could see when he slipped that he immediately put his hand on his head as if to say "what is the matter with you, you have f**cked up again" before getting to his feet. I think his confidence is completely shot to pieces. I think he can get that confidence back but not with us, we are chasing glory all the time we can't keep allowing this kind of error. It is why Otamendi has to go also.

It’s a shame really. The slip apart he had an excellent game. It’s two choices really, write him off now and flog him in the summer or give him a run of 5 or 6 games and see if he can get back to his performances a year or two. I’d you’d have asked me when he made the mistake yesterday I’d have said flog him, but part of me thinks he still could offer us something.

It’s a shame really. The slip apart he had an excellent game. It’s two choices really, write him off now and flog him in the summer or give him a run of 5 or 6 games and see if he can get back to his performances a year or two. I’d you’d have asked me when he made the mistake yesterday I’d have said flog him, but part of me thinks he still could offer us something.

If we gave him a run of 5 or 6 games, he could be magnificent but it would not change the fact that in 10 games time, we could and probably would be having the same discussions about him. He has been playing professionally for 10 years and he still makes the same mistakes he did as a kid. In fact, I would even argue that he looks less convinced of himself now, than he did when he was at Everton and everyone was telling him he couldn't defend the way he did.

At most clubs, the 4th choice CB is irrelevant because they don't get a game. At City, Pep rotates so much, our 4th choice CB can expect plenty of game time and we need that person to be ready and able at all times, e.g. A Carabao Cup Final. Stones is not that person.

It's a shame for John because at times he has looked like the player we expected him to become. This season and the end of last he seems to have gone backwards and sadly in the position we are in (going for every trophy) we can't afford to carry him much longer. There is a player in there he just needs to find it again and consistently show it. Or move on.

One mistake in the game, every player makes them. His head didn't go down (as it has done previously) and he really played his role defending the last 10mins. There is hope for him but he won't be off the table in the summer I don't think.

Pep was all over him at the end of the game and maybe just maybe he has earned one more chance.

One mistake in the game, every player makes them. His head didn't go down (as it has done previously) and he really played his role defending the last 10mins. There is hope for him but he won't be off the table in the summer I don't think.

Pep was all over him at the end of the game and maybe just maybe he has earned one more chance.
Problem is that Stones makes big fuck ups regularly. Thats not acceptable if you play for City or any other serious club.

Terrible mistake redeemed to some extent by his overall display but we’ve been here before and he’s never going to change. He’s given us good service and played a part in winning many trophies but he can not be relied upon as a first choice centre back.

I’d keep him as a decent squad member but boy do we need to sign at least one centre back this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.