Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sun on Sunday couldnt bring itself to show that Littlewoods FC lost to Watford and that City were about to play in a third successive LC final. So the back page was given over to the possibility that England's Euro chances were 'boosted' by Rashford being fit.
I doubt that will mean the Sun will sell any copies on Liverpool. Desperate to bury the news.

Did I hear right the other day when they said 19 of their wins this season have been by a single goal?
In the league they've won 13 (46.4%) of their matches by a margin of a single goal, which is higher than any other team have had in the history of the English top flight.

You could argue that it's just a sign of a champions but it also points to a lot of games that could've easily swung the other way. So many teams have failed to punish them and missed some really easy chances. Add to that some favourable refereeing, questionable goalkeeping errors and no long term injuries to key players.

This is not diminish their achievements but I don't think they've been playing as well as the records suggest. When you see the run they've been on you'd assume that they had been playing breathtaking football and blowing teams away but they haven't.

They are undoubtedly a very good team but I do think this season is a bit of an anomaly in which a lot of things have gone for them and against us. The way things unfolded in the opening few weeks with Laporte's injury and controversial VAR decisions killing our chance to build early momentum, culminating in the game at Anfield, we must've felt like we were fighting a losing battle.

I do also think that after 198 points in two seasons, there was probably an element of replicating it for a third consecutive time being one step too far. That shouldn't be a problem next season though, we'll be reinvigorated and hungry to reclaim our title, and realistically Liverpool should regress to their mean.

It's amazing how quickly their season could deflate.

Obviously they're going to win the league, but a week ago their fans were genuinely talking about an invincible season with a treble and all of a sudden if they don't win tomorrow they're probably going to have lost their invincible tag, the Champions League and the FA Cup within a week.

Also I've been surprised by 2 things people in the media seemed to have been reminded of - firstly everything we've done under Pep - suddenly there's been a lot of talk of the 8/9 domestic trophies and the 3 in a row etc. and secondly, that Liverpool have been pretty poor for 3 months and just skated by.

Suddenly the world has remembered they're not the only club in the country. It really is amazing how much the narrative and perceptions of a season can change almost overnight.

Obviously they're going to win the league, but a week ago their fans were genuinely talking about an invincible season with a treble and all of a sudden if they don't win tomorrow they're probably going to have lost their invincible tag, the Champions League and the FA Cup within a week.

Also I've been surprised by 2 things people in the media seemed to have been reminded of - firstly everything we've done under Pep - suddenly there's been a lot of talk of the 8/9 domestic trophies and the 3 in a row etc. and secondly, that Liverpool have been pretty poor for 3 months and just skated by.

Suddenly the world has remembered they're not the only club in the country. It really is amazing how much the narrative and perceptions of a season can change almost overnight.

reminds me of this stage of 17/18, get screwed by Taylor at Wigan, then the coach attack and screwjob at Anfield, then throwing away the title win against the Rags and then getting done over again against the Dippers the following midweek. We rekindled our season to become Centurions but that sense of deflation can easily arise when you've been so good but just end up "good league champions" like so many other sides...

They only need 22/30 possible points to beat our 100. Can't see them messing up that badly, but hopefully we can beat them and they only nick it by a few points. Just glad they can't go unbeaten, fucking Watford of all sides!

First off Congrats to City on the cup win it was a lot tighter than I thought it was going to be.
I assume that will increase the general happiness on the forum in general and also crank up the flak directed "our" way on this thread.

I have said it when I first registered here that it was to have a little chuckle at the comments and conspiracy theories, but from my brief time here I have come to re-evaluate my view of the press and City in general.

I would agree with many of the recent posters on here, that the media have been falling over themselves to write gushing pieces about Liverpool, when in reality "we" played better last season and the league, the title and the excitement was so much better and certainly a higher standard.

I think that the loss to Watford has certainly been on the cards for the last few weeks. OK we didn't play well but Watford were excellent, they fought, they were organised and put on a superb team performance...certainly an example to all other clubs going forward. I also hope that it will cause the media to think about what they have been writing so far this season, not be so gushing (and yes blind in many cases) and realise that this season has been simply OK, but that last year was really exceptional.

If other teams are able to emulate Watford I think that the Centurion record could well be safe. The league I think is just about safe and we can get rid of the 30yr comments......just as the "Old Trafford ticker" had to be consigned to a museum.

Danny Murphy wrote yesterday that beating City’s 100 points would be a greater achievement than going unbeaten. Anyone know if he said this before Saturday evening or two years ago?

If we win the PL that's it, job done.

They only need 22/30 possible points to beat our 100. Can't see them messing up that badly, but hopefully we can beat them and they only nick it by a few points. Just glad they can't go unbeaten, fucking Watford of all sides!
They only need to, for example, lose to us and at Everton, draw at Arsenal and home to Chelsea and the maximum they can get is 99 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.