UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that's telling about the press coverage of the entire episode is that there's been no consideration given at any stage to the idea that we might have exploited loopholes in the rules and not broken them. This seems to me to be one possible explanation for UEFA and City taking completely different stances over this.

But the media view is that we're a state-owned club that has benefitted from state funding and that's how the court of public opinion sees it, too. There's potentially a significant difference between ADEC funding our Abu Dhabi sponsorships and ADUG footing the bill, because the former is arguably (depending on the interpretation of IAS 24) within the rules and the latter isn't, but most journalists and rival fans I've seen expressing a view seem not to give a toss about the distinction. We'll be seen as guilty and getting off an a technicality if that's what emerges in the end.

I agree with this - it may get a mention at some later point as things progress.

I assume that City have pushed the limits of what they can, with an appropriate oversight of each wheeze; I'd be staggered if most clubs anywhere near the limits were playing entirely straight.

Could be. Or maybe he's just doing the honourable thing and keeping his counsel, which is more than can be said for some of the other vermin at that rat-infested organisation!

I agree, I don't think there's anything really of note, it's hardly a surprise. Any backing would create more headlines. Ceferin has been pretty good at what he has said publically.

One thing that's telling about the press coverage of the entire episode is that there's been no consideration given at any stage to the idea that we might have exploited loopholes in the rules and not broken them. This seems to me to be one possible explanation for UEFA and City taking completely different stances over this.

But the media view is that we're a state-owned club that has benefitted from state funding and that's how the court of public opinion sees it, too. There's potentially a significant difference between ADEC funding our Abu Dhabi sponsorships and ADUG footing the bill, because the former is arguably (depending on the interpretation of IAS 24) within the rules and the latter isn't, but most journalists and rival fans I've seen expressing a view seem not to give a toss about the distinction. We'll be seen as guilty and getting off an a technicality if that's what emerges in the end.

I’m past caring what we are “seen” as, I just want us to win and get the ban overturned.
Couldn’t care less what a bunch of thieving scousers or out of town glory hunting rags think, fuck em.

I’m past caring what we are “seen” as, I just want us to win and get the ban overturned.
Couldn’t care less what a bunch of thieving scousers or out of town glory hunting rags think, fuck em.
Indeed if we get a 100% innocent verdict the media will just whip up some other shit to pop at us & the sheep will rant about it.

As you say fuck 'em, fuck 'em all.

I love and am proud of our club & achievements no matter what happens or what new shit is verbalised at us.

If indeed it is overturned (and I'm not holding my breath), can you image the torrent of "righteous" indignation from several quarters? Carragher springs to mind. Most rag-biased journos. The fatuous Matthew Syed. The likes of Piers Morgan and other people with no genuine connection to football. Tabloid hacks. Merson, probably.

"City's escape shows that crime does pay", and the like.

They'd all be on their moral high horse, believe me.

But we'll doubtless get punished anyway, so it's all irrelevant.

You don’t expect these seekers of truth to respect the decision of an independent body and report on it factually? How did you become so cynical?

It impossible that a sports journalist can, with almost none of the evidence and without accounting or legal training, assess City's compliance or otherwise to FFP; its laws and their applicability in Swiss and EU law (if any); English contractual law regarding contracts they haven't seen; sponsorship tender processes (which they also haven't seen); UEFA processes; international accounting standards; geo-politics; or the commercial global investment thesis of Abu Dhabi.

They don't know the distinction, they couldn't understand the distinction and they don't care about the distinction. Hopefully a court (arbitration or otherwise) has a stab.

Indeed if we get a 100% innocent verdict the media will just whip up some other shit to pop at us & the sheep will rant about it.

As you say fuck 'em, fuck 'em all.

I love and am proud of our club & achievements no matter what happens or what new shit is verbalised at us.

If that happens it's up to the club to push things. Demand apologies, on air walk backs or limit/remove access. Put out briefings, make statements that are strong enough they have to be reported etc.

The upside to how over the top and strong some of the reactions are is that they demand apology if the club is innocent. Jonathan Liew said that Soriano was engaging in a disinformation campaign and muddying waters with his statement. If his statement is proven to be true, that can't won't go unanswered.

If that happens it's up to the club to push things. Demand apologies, on air walk backs or limit/remove access. Put out briefings, make statements that are strong enough they have to be reported etc.

The upside to how over the top and strong some of the reactions are is that they demand apology if the club is innocent. Jonathan Liew said that Soriano was engaging in a disinformation campaign and muddying waters with his statement. If his statement is proven to be true, that can't won't go unanswered.

IF we are cleared, and take the whole thing further for damages/exoneration, then we have to deal with each and every one of those who have lied at our expense with finality. The voices must become voiceless, clicked no more, leaving only the twittering of actual birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.