COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the score between Cases in Italy v Cases involving people who have travelled from Italy? Must be getting close

The number of cases in the UK that have originated in Italy is high isn’t it. I guess all of those have travelled back by plane too. Go for a piss and hands on door. 100 other people then use hands to open door. If it is so contagious I’m struggling to understand why more of these people on the planes have not caught it. Planes are mingin at the best of times.

It depends on what you mean by mortality rate. The mortality rate that's being reported for this virus is the CFR (case fatality rate), which = (deaths by virus/infected people). The 1918 flu had a CFR between 10% and 20%, not of 2%, as I discussed earlier with SWP. That 2% for the 1918 flu was = (deaths by virus/whole world population, healthy and infected). And the world population in 1918 was most certainly not of 250 million people lol
sorry I badly misquoted Fergal - he just said a fifth of the world population were infected in 1918 and 50 million died - the total population was about 1.8 billion then I believe

WHO have just released a statement saying 3.4% mortality rate unless I’ve misread which ratio we are talking about - that’s quite a bit higher than I expected.good news is on transmission rates - it doesn’t seem to spread as easily as flu....um I’m confused.com with that comment based on previous observations on the transmission rates!

GENEVA (Reuters) – About 3.4% of confirmed cases of COVID-19 have died, far above seasonal flu’s fatality rate of under 1%, but the novel coronavirus can be contained, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a Geneva news conference: “To summarize, COVID-19 spreads less efficiently than flu, transmission does not appear to be driven by people who are not sick, it causes more severe illness than flu, there are not yet any vaccines or therapeutics, and it can be contained.”

https://www.physiciansweekly.com/coronavirus-more-deadly-than/
That’s weird, I was reading yesterday that it’s R0 was likely 4-6. Now they’re saying it’s less than flu (2.5)?

It is a scandal that companies like Amazon are boosting prices on things like alcohol hand sanitisers to cash in against something that will genuinely help.
That’s individual sellers, not Amazon. Amazon have actually sent warning to sellers telling them they’ll lose their Amazon status for price gouging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.