Great Teams (Premier League era)

Fuzzy80

Just talking after Liverpool have gone out what makes a great team.

At the moment I think you have Arsenal’s invincible season, although looking back lots of draws, plus various defeats in other comps, it is an achievement that is still talked about.

United’s treble goes without saying can’t stand them and has been more then replicated in other countries but is a stand out achievement in this country.

Pep’s city you could do the 100 points, but for me the domestic clean sweep is the one.

I don’t see any others in the conversation at this point - Jose’s Chelsea does not match these achievements.

This season both us and Liverpool for me have the chance to be in there still.

City if they win FA Cup retain 3 of our domestic titles taking it to 9/11 which is fantastic dominance. A CL and we are talking great and both would be a unique achievement and would show 3 seasons of unparalleled success.

Liverpool if they where to win the CL would have a treble of sorts and by retaining the CL would be first English team to do it (since it got revamped and became harder to win) and also 3 CL finals in 3 years winning 2 would be hard to argue not one of the great teams.

I don’t see any others in the conversation at this point - Jose’s Chelsea does not match these achievements.

They were a great team in my opinion. They set the points record at the time and only conceded 15 goals all season, which I don't think anyone has come close to since.

They were a great team in my opinion. They set the points record at the time and only conceded 15 goals all season, which I don't think anyone has come close to since.

I agree and they stopped the filth winning more titles so for me they were a great team.

liverpool- 70’s and 80’s (obv not Prem but great side)
Rags 90’s and 00’s
Arsenal for a few seasons under Wenger
Chelsea for a couple of seasons under Mourinho
Us under Pep
Liverpool getting there under Klopp but needs to put more effort into cups. They need another good season or too though.
Ole isn’t far off too. Sign Igloo on a permanent deal and he is very close.

United 2007-2011 side is up there. Three titles in a row, two CL finals and multiple league cup wins.

Could easily make a case for Peps 17-19 side record points/goals and then a domestic clean sweep especially when consider you De Bruyne was injured for much of last season and Mendys injuries.

Arsenal 2003 - 2004

United treble side

And then this Liverpool side which will probably break records and won the CL last season.

I don’t think the unbeaten season for arsenal was anywhere near as impressive as made out as an achievement, i think they underachieved in terms of trophy haul for that side, competition wasn’t all that strong and they should have won more, it was still undoubtedly a truly great side though.

United treble side was a great achievement, arguably the best but again they wasn’t all that great, they won the league on 79 points which is as many points as Liverpool have now. Basically scored 2 goals a game and conceded 1. The FA cup they should really have lost against Arsenal in the semi finals but for them throwing it away, and in the champions league they scraped through the group with just 2 wins and was largely outplayed in the semi’s and final. Credit to their resilience but they were awfully lucky. The honours dictates they go down as a great team but the side really wasn’t that special.

The team they had with Rooney tevez and ronaldo was a better side and a great side.

The Chelsea side that made records under mourinho first time round was a great side too. Cech, terry, carvalho, essien, lampard, Drogba was as good a spine as any.

Our sides before pep weren’t great as they wasn’t consistent enough, the pellegrini title winning side was one of the most entertaining the league has seen up until that point but we didn’t win enough or maintain the level to be a great.

The Pep era team is undoubtedly a great, the best football the league has ever seen, breaking all the records and an unbelievable trophy haul.

Liverpool’s klopp side will have 2 major trophies by the end of this season (potentially 3 maximum) he’s had 5 years there, that’s nowhere near enough for a great side. they’ll need a fair few more trophies to be in the same league as the ones mentioned above.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.