Bands that sold out

• Thread starter Ballet-on-ice
  • Start date
Well lots of bands reform for the cash - but I back the Pistols on this charge for 2 reasons.
Firstly they hardly made a penny first time round as McClaren helped himself to the money.
2nd they were pretty open about it being the Filthy Lucre tour and doing it for the money rather than pretending it wasnt. Plus lets be honest, not too many folk got to see them 1st time around. I felt they were reclaiming the band and legacy back from McClaren

Well they got £250'000 each in court in 1986 and make a tidy annual sum from royalties etc
It was just disappointing for those of us who felt punk shouldn't just be a cash cow like music was for the bands they claimed to hate.
I suspect the reformation was Lydon helping out certain members who were quite skint, he'd always opposed a reunion up until then.

Bowie occasionally sold out in order to fund his passion for making the type of music that he loved.
When he does collaborations with Klaus Nomi and la la la human steps it's not to make money. That's what China girl and cat people was for.

If any band thinks they will make more money in what is usually a short career, they will take it. And regardless how early fans feel cheated after they go more mainstream, this wouldn't bother me at all.

If people want a band to give up financial security, because they had a copy of a copy of the first gig at The Dog and Duck, and are appalled at the treachery, then go start your own fucking band.

I always found that those who held these, sold out views, weren't musicians, singers, or performers. Never been in a band, couldn't play a fucking note, telling other people who could to forgo financial security because they are a bunch of pretentious pricks.

And no, I'm not bitter, our band never made it. But I can assure you if we did and some twat came up and said you sold out, he would have been knocked out. Pronto.

For us we were just too ahead of our time with our Jazz Funk Folk vibe.
The Bunnymen allowed The Killing Moon to be used on a commercial during Super Bowl a few years back and got something like $100,000 for it.
Fans going mad on messageboards saying the meaning of the song has been tarnished / ruined etc (i did ask what the meaning of the song actually was and didnt get a reply lol)
In the end i said "look, Mac and Will Seargant are approaching 60.... This one deal is their pension. Would you turn it down?"
Again, no reply.

Morrissey and Marr got (I think) 50K each for Marks and Sparks to do a cover of "Please Please Please let me get what I want " for the Xmas advert and reportedly 500K between them for allowing Tatu to cover "How soon is now?" and good luck to them both.

Last edited:
Most bands who don't "sell out" will not get the world wide recognition. You have to move with the times to stay relevant and if that means redefining your style they most will do it, some with great success and some not. Arctic Monkeys have done it very well but I wouldn't class them as selling out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.