Mark the City fan on 606

@Gary James , these are good, but how about the investment in the club from the early 60s to the 80s? That's the period that really interests me - do you have any background info?

the owners of liverpool was backed by littlewoods pools, and the first time i ever heard of clubs buying players to stop others signing them was in the bill shankly years

@Gary James , these are good, but how about the investment in the club from the early 60s to the 80s? That's the period that really interests me - do you have any background info?
Dunno if the following will help..

A couple of years ago I posted about the Littlewoods connection to both Liverpool and Everton from the late 50s onwards. I included a back-of-the-fag-packet calculation or two for both clubs and how they got significant traction/lift to become footballing powerhouses from the early 60s and afterwards.

It is really difficult to find financial statements on record for English clubs prior to 1974. I’ve never been able to find the annual statement of accounts for the late 50s. But using the published accounts for 1974 (when the Football League archives begin on record) when Everton turned over approximately £1M and Liverpool (FA Cup winners that year) turned over £1.4M, I used the Bank of England’s inflation adjustment thingy to get an approximate value as at 1959 for those turnover values.

The turnovers of both clubs in 1974, as with every club in football, came largely from gate receipts, programme sales, club shops and transfer profits and losses. Until recent years, even the biggest of our clubs weren’t actually that big in terms of ackers generated etc. A standard Tesco store, say, would’ve been much, much bigger than any top class football club.

So, here’s the point. When John Moores, his family and the ciphers he placed into both clubs began investing into Everton and Liverpool, the money provided (a £50k cash injection into Everton along with an open-ended personal guarantor offer to underwrite the club’s future transfer activity; and a huge injection into Liverpool’s transfer funds, enabling the purchases of Ian St John, Ron Yeats, Peter Thompson, Geoff Strong etc) pushed a mid-table outfit that was Everton shortly after regaining First Division status and a struggling Second Division outfit that was Liverpool both towards the upper echelon of the Football League. This investment underpinned the team building undertaken by newly installed Harry Catterick (from Sheffield Wednesday) at Everton and Bill Shankly (from Huddersfield) at Liverpool. And even with my fag-packet calculation, the sums of money injected into both clubs were at least a boost of 25% per year to their respective turnovers in 1959, when both clubs were struggling financially and on the pitch (I’d argue they were more like a 40% initial boost) Within a couple of years, both clubs would win the First Division league championship and the FA Cup for the first time in ages (or even ever, as in Liverpool’s cup win in 1965)

So, never, ever, let a Scouser, or anyone else for that matter, tell you they ‘did things in the right way’ To dine at the top table of football has always required huge sums of money, whatever the era. Both Merseyside giants got a massive helping hand from the Moores family and Littlewoods, however you calculate it. And it wasn’t for nothing that Everton took over Sunderland’s 1950s mantle of being known as ‘The Bank Of England Club’..

Last edited:
If our owners had taken over Newcastle there would not have been the hostile stuff we and our owners get.

Don't agree. It's all about the threat to the established so-called "elite" and I think the reaction would have been the same regardless of the Club.

Don't agree. It's all about the threat to the established so-called "elite" and I think the reaction would have been the same regardless of the Club.
Agree but in their eyes City were the worst possible and nearest 'noisy neighbours'. I can't see Ferguson who had massive influence at that saying 'not in my lifetime' about anyone else buy us. We are their worst nightmares come true.

That was the most feeble response from a city fan I have ever heard, that thick Scouse rat munching twat would have been cowering after i'd have finished with him, No history I'd have shoved that down his candle waving, always the innocent, bin dwelling throat.. then you wonder why, he didn't mention one thing, corruption, record transfers, premier league titles what the fuck was that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.