United (a) post-match thread

We aren't winning the champions league with our defence even with Laporte in it, unless we have a huge slice of luck along the way. Worst the goals have dried up by our standards putting even more pressure on a creaking defence and suddenly jittery keeper.

Individually and collectively we are a good 30% below last seasons form. IF we get everyone fit and performing to what they are capable of we have an outside chance.
Thanks for that Nortradamis

Can someone explain why Aguero's goal wasn't allowed? It seemed to me that they started drawing their lines then gave up halfway through... and it can't be because De Gea stopped because players have been told not to do so unless the referee blows his whistle which he didn't until after the ball went in.

Probably evening out not giving the penalty

My Final Thoughts, as I don't want to dwell too much:

I feel Pep doesn't understand the balance of the squad yet, as in, who can rotate where, and when looking at the starting line up if he realizes if the balance is correct. Again, players should take massive blame, but I think the balance is an issue, for example:

You cannot play Zinchenko, Rodri, Gundogan and Bernardo together in midfield, Zinchenko is basically a midfielder in our inverted set-up.

The first 3 are mainly controllers and adept passers and don't offer enough directness going forward, while Bernardo isn't quite direct enough as Kevin or Mahrez for example, but is actually perfect in the other players roles, where he is great at controlling and passing, and occasionally finding space to be direct.

The easy fix to me would have been if Bernardo played Gundogan's role next to Rodri, now the 3 (include Zinchenko) have control with Bernardo capable of going forward. Then let Phil be the true direct #10 midfielder (which he is better at than Bernardo), and play Mahrez RW, or Sterling RW and Jesus LW.

If Pep's goal was to rest all 3 of Mahrez, Jesus and Kevin (injured), then I think that's also flawed as those 3 + Aguero have been our standout goal threats this season with over 1 g/a per 90 mins.

Also if Mendy played then that would also be a fix as it helps fix the balance a bit, but he was obviously also rested.

We were poor, they weren’t much better. As all season long we need 10 chances to score, and a shot on target against us has a 90% chance of going in no matter who we have in net.
The offside was never getting turned over by var because linesman stuck his flag up, their defenders stopped.

no arguemwnts from me

Wow that was woeful. Really missing strength down the spine today. Ederson, deary me. Really missed Laporte and KDB. Too many players just not involved. Our midfield was poor and our shots on target so poor for the amount of possession. Too slow, no passion. Just nowhere near good enough in a local derby.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.