What's the difference?

Whole host of issues - from the remarkable drop-off in individual performance levels (Sterling, Bernardo) through injuries to Pep’s insistence on changing personnel and system in pretty much every game, robbing us of any chance to gain consistency and rhythm.

But if pushed, I’d say the big one was still losing Kompany. Triple blow - lost a top class centre half, the leader and organiser on the pitch, and the boss in the dressing room. Set the standards and made sure everyone stuck to them.

Not for a second suggesting that all would be fine if he were still here - the problems run a lot deeper. But there’s an obvious lack of character and leadership that rings through performances like yesterday’s.

Fernandinho's legs have gone when it comes to playing in his natural midfield role. He has proven he can fill in (contract extension) and it's unfortunate that he has to play the amount of games at centre-back.

How do you know as he’s not played there all season? Also he’s still quicker and fitter than the 2 statues that play in front of the defence and provide zero protection.

Definitely think playing Fernandinho at CB has hindered us massively. Purely because we’re missing his presence in midfield.

we’ve basically lost a world class central midfielder for the whole season
I agree we've missed him, but would we really have lost fewer games this season with a centre back pairing of Stones and Otamendi? Pep was damned of he did and damned of he didn't. He's taken a brave decision and stuck with it.

If we lose to Madrid then this topic gains in relevance and timing.
However, if we beat Madrid, then the whole season is still alive, and you could argue that Guardiola's team selection yesterday was vindicated, especially if Sane and Laporte are both fully fit and available for the Quarter Final
For the moment, the eggs remain in one basket

I agree we've missed him, but would we really have lost fewer games this season with a centre back pairing of Stones and Otamendi? Pep was damned of he did and damned of he didn't. He's taken a brave decision and stuck with it.

A good question to ask would be, would we fair better with with a back 2 of Stones and Otamendi with Fern in front, or Fern with Stones/Otamendi at the back and Rodri/Gundogan in front, think I'd say the former was the better combination for the way we play.

A good question to ask would be, would we fair better with with a back 2 of Stones and Otamendi with Fern in front, or Fern with Stones/Otamendi at the back and Rodri/Gundogan in front, think I'd say the former was the better combination for the way we play.
Yes, that's a better way of putting it, but I'm not convinced it would have had a better outcome.

we lost Vinny, then Leroy and Eric. all this before the end of the August window yet we did nothing. as i say, we knew the league had gone then. City gambled that without these players we'd still get through the CL group.they would be back for the knockouts , well that was the plan anyway. so far so good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.