What's the difference?

we lost Vinny, then Leroy and Eric. all this before the end of the August window yet we did nothing. as i say, we knew the league had gone then. City gambled that without these players we'd still get through the CL group.they would be back for the knockouts , well that was the plan anyway. so far so good.

was we getting vinnie back on loan ;-)

Rodri and Cancelo haven't been the buys we hoped they'd be. It can take a season to adjust to the PL so hopefully they'll come good but right now, they're not. Other than that:

Injuries to key players.
Bad form for key players.
Ageing key players.

But.
Still won a trophy and in the hunt for 2 others so we must be doing something right, even if we are on a dip at the moment.

If we lose to Madrid then this topic gains in relevance and timing.
However, if we beat Madrid, then the whole season is still alive, and you could argue that Guardiola's team selection yesterday was vindicated, especially if Sane and Laporte are both fully fit and available for the Quarter Final
For the moment, the eggs remain in one basket
Beating a below par Madrid guarantees us nothing and if we lose in subsequent rounds it will be forgotten quickly but I can guarantee you that rags if your acquaintance will still be crowing about beating us 3 times in one season many years from now. Yesterday’s game really mattered.

Beating a below par Madrid guarantees us nothing and if we lose in subsequent rounds it will be forgotten quickly but I can guarantee you that rags if your acquaintance will still be crowing about beating us 3 times in one season many years from now. Yesterday’s game really mattered.
I dont agree .
It didnt matter much.
Were going to finish 2and.
Going to finish above them.
And we went through in league cup and won it

I dont agree .
It didnt matter much.
Were going to finish 2and.
Going to finish above them.
And we went through in league cup and won it
The league cup comment I agree with, even though we lost that night I still went home happy. Yesterday was a different kettle of fish, a derby is always a massive game regardless of league positions and unless we have a cup final 3 days after it we should always play our best team. Pep disrespected our club and our fans by resting key players yesterday.

Would he ever play a madrid barca game without Messi ? Would he fuck yet the derby matters just as much to us as the classico does to them

Sorry mate, but you're arguing against a point that I didn't actually make.
My heart sank when our team was announced yesterday. However, the CL is all about momentum, and that's why Guardiola went conservative and saved Walker for Bale next week.
Not for one moment did I say I agreed with it.

How do you know as he’s not played there all season? Also he’s still quicker and fitter than the 2 statues that play in front of the defence and provide zero protection.

Pep did the same with Kolarov when he felt he could no longer play in his natural position, during his first season in charge. Did a decent job at centre-back to be fair to Kolarov.

Last edited:

Maybe in the 100 points season it would be something for them to try and cling on to but we have been beaten so many times in this one then it doesn't really mean that much at all - and if that's the only thing the Rags have to cling onto in the years to come then let them have it.

Normally I am hyped up and nervy for a Derby but this time really couldn't be arsed. The PL is gone, we will finish 2nd but that means nothing - that's a measure of how far we have come as a club - finishing 2nd means nothing … ! All about the 2 remaining cup comps for us now.

Last edited:
Not been through all the comments but from what I’ve seen, nobody has mentioned what to me is the most important thing we’ve missed. Fernandinho in the holding role. Yes, we’ve had him playing but for me it isn’t the same. When he was in the midfield, the balls were rarely getting passed him and that’s partly why our defence was so good last season

Pep’s over-compensated for the loss of Laporte to such an extent, that he’s completely blindsided to how much we’re missing Fernandinho in midfield.

He’s been absolutely key to the way we play in the last two seasons. Dave and KDB could press like crazy high up the pitch, safe in the knowledge that Fernandinho is behind them and he has the pace, determination and nouse to close the space behind them.

Fast forward to this season and Rodri (who I think has great potential) is about as fast as Javi Garcia. He doesn’t close down space. He doesn’t read the game very well defensively. And his passing is often square, or a switch, he doesn’t find the two guys in front of him nearly enough.

And then there’s Gundogan. Surely the biggest blindside of Pep’s entire career? The guy is just not fit for purpose, I’m sorry. He’s just very average at everything. What’s he exceptional at? Penalties and speaking like a slightly camp, evil, cartoon cat.

Too slow in possession, no incision in his passing whatsoever. Slow out of possession, no hunger or aggression in winning it back. No creativity. Just safe, boring, side to side and backwards passes.

Take Fernandinho and David Silva out of a midfield and replace them with Rodri and Gundogan - it’s like taking Paul Scholes and Roy Keane out of your midfield and replacing them with Fred and McTominay...

What a dumb post. Recycling the worst cliches on here.

Fernandinho got injured in the league cup final last season and didn't start in most of the games after that. And we had a better defensive record without him and with Gundogan replacing him.

Rodri is a top player. The simple reason for our problems, apart from a very natural tiredness from the previous 2 seasons, is that Kompany retired, Laporte got badly injured Stones was injured several times and struggled for form, Otamendi has declined, Mendy needed time to recover from his injuries, etc. Add to that that Sane has missed the whole season, Aguero isn't the same player, Sterling lost form...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.