#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Felt sorry for him being stck out on the right - weird decision by Pep for me.

It worked really well in the cup final - he had the LB on toast and was able to shine with a lot more space.

The problem is he was playing inside Bernardo Silva, a left footed player who is much more comfortable passing back inside on his left than switching a ball out right, which means he ignores Foden constantly.

Also Cancelo tries to be more involved when he comes forward and was coming inside into where Foden should have been, whereas Walker last week was overlapping really wide so Phil could come in.

It worked really well in the cup final - he had the LB on toast and was able to shine with a lot more space.

The problem is he was playing inside Bernardo Silva, a left footed player who is much more comfortable passing back inside on his left than switching a ball out right, which means he ignores Foden constantly.

Also Cancelo tries to be more involved when he comes forward and was coming inside into where Foden should have been, whereas Walker last week was overlapping really wide so Phil could come in.

Thanks for that. Tbh I was away for the final and haven't seen highlights yet.

I think a lot of the difference was down to Villa playing a back 4 and United a back 5. Against Villa he was playing as part of the front three very high up the pitch but yesterday he was more of a wide midfielder, getting the ball on the touchline 40 yards from goal and that just isn't his game.

It was a positive that Pep rightly brought Bernardo off instead of Phil, perhaps he has finally gained some trust.

I think a lot of the difference was down to Villa playing a back 4 and United a back 5. Against Villa he was playing as part of the front three very high up the pitch but yesterday he was more of a wide midfielder, getting the ball on the touchline 40 yards from goal and that just isn't his game.

It was a positive that Pep rightly brought Bernardo off instead of Phil, perhaps he has finally gained some trust.

Yep, him staying on felt significant.

Yep, him staying on felt significant.
It was the right call from Pep overall, but still I think that at least partly it was also about it being a gesture towards Foden. Would have sent out a shit message to sub out your youngest player starting his first ever derby within an anyway dysfunctional team that needed a change.

Both he and Garcia should get serious minutes for the rest of the season. At least that’s building for the future instead of treading water with an ailing squad.
Whats worrying about the situation with garcia is that unlike foden pep wont play garcia no matter how bad the other centre backs play no matter what stones and ottamendi do they always seem to get games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.