Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Would that not include players?

Good question. I suppose it's more controllable than having possibly thousands of fans flying in. Same issue if it's behind closed doors - players & officials would still be coming into the country, so it's no real solution. Either way I would prefer postponement rather than closed doors.

I dont see how UEFA can over rule the British government on crowd gatherings.

If Bayern V Chelsea is to be played behind closed Doors.

Then surely it is the German Government that has decided this,not UEFA.

I can't see Euro 2020 going ahead, even if the pandemic subsides there'll be a wake of postponed games across many leagues.

The pressure domestically to finish the season, or at least find a resolution, will be immense. Would championship team take it well if we declared the season null and void, Leeds etc not being promoted? Would Brighton or villa accept relegation despite not playing a full season? Would they accept it having lost home support for the run in?

There is no answer which is fair. Which is why I can see the leagues being finished off in May and June, and the Euros being scrapped.

Although it does seem like they are hanging on until Liverpool mathematically win it so they can announce stricter measures and end football early, says the pessimistic me.

Maybe cricket has a wobbly Holt elbow half tuck system or something that we can use to predict the winners and losers.

Yeah I'm of similar thinking; Euro's will be scrapped and domestic season will be finished in the summer.

In fact I could see them moving the Euro's to the winter, after all the World Cup in 2022 is going to be in the winter, so they may see it as early prep for that.

Is the Spurs games behind closed doors?

Absolutely. Just another example of the arrogant attitudes that pervade within UEFA. I don’t know who they think they are but sooner or later large gatherings will be suspended for a time. We really need a coordinated response. If we need to contain the virus then we will need to follow Italy’s lead and lock down for a few weeks. The virus can be contained if everyone self isolated for 2 to 3 weeks - which I know is a drastic step but might be better than a six month protracted process.

I have no doubt that Spanish fans will be barred from attending. Spain is quickly becoming the next Italy.

No. But I do believe that they don't have a major problem like Italy or Iran at the moment.

it would not surprise me at all if local hotpots keepcropping up over the next 2-3 months but I reckon the panic should subside now. it looks like it can be beaten if a society does enough. And each nation that's faced a crisis: china, South Korea and Italy have reacted. All seem to be making headway. I wonder about Iran.
I'm not sure I currently trust any countries numbers at the moment, I mean 1 in the Vatican City surrounded by Italy, 20 in Russia, 56 in India, O in Kazakhstan, really ?

Get the fuck.

Exactly, they couldn't do that, imagine the screaming in the relegation places.

Two solutions, scrap the Euro's, suspend the season and finish it in the summer, or just cancel the season, null and void. Harsh on the promotion chasing teams but it is what it is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.