Rodri - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do some people judge him as a Fernandinho clone?

Because that's the standard we want to see. Same way we'll compare future STs to Aguero. If we're conceding more goals and the CDM replacement is making less interceptions, tackles, aerial duels and clearances than his predecessor, it warrants discussion.

Because that's the standard we want to see. Same way we'll compare future STs to Aguero. If we're conceding more goals and the CDM replacement is making less interceptions, tackles, aerial duels and clearances than his predecessor, it warrants discussion.

You're correct to a point. However it's only half of the story. We didn't score at all in the derby or against Spurs. We barley got away with it against Sheffield Wed. Raheem is out of form. Both Silva's aren't what they were in the past 2 seasons. There are a number of reasons and if we were scoring more goals to win games it would be talked about less.

Point taken In terms of overall effectiveness but every player has their own individual attributes and style. We didn’t replace Yaya like for like; nor is Jesus very similar to Aguero.

You're correct to a point. However it's only half of the story. We didn't score at all in the derby or against Spurs. We barley got away with it against Sheffield Wed. Raheem is out of form. Both Silva's aren't what they were in the past 2 seasons. There are a number of reasons and if we were scoring more goals to win games it would be talked about less.

I take that on board, I'm not claiming Rodri is helped by the circumstances around him. What I am saying is there is a severe under-performance from that position this season in terms of all defensive indicators which is worrying. Rodri is partly culpable for that and, when we break down his strengths and weaknesses, it isn't hard to fear we've bought an ill-suited player.

Point taken In terms of overall effectiveness but every player has their own individual attributes and style. We didn’t replace Yaya like for like; nor is Jesus very similar to Aguero.

Oh of course, different players offer different attributes but in the role of DM, the several indicators we use to judge effectiveness, Fernandinho is clearly ahead. That's the worrying part. I personally don't see what Rodri offers us that is an upgrade on Fernandinho whereas I could when comparing Jesus and Aguero for instance.

I take that on board, I'm not claiming Rodri is helped by the circumstances around him. What I am saying is there is a severe under-performance from that position this season in terms of all defensive indicators which is worrying. Rodri is partly culpable for that and, when we break down his strengths and weaknesses, it isn't hard to fear we've bought an ill-suited player.

Oh of course, different players offer different attributes but in the role of DM, the several indicators we use to judge effectiveness, Fernandinho is clearly ahead. That's the worrying part. I personally don't see what Rodri offers us that is an upgrade on Fernandinho whereas I could when comparing Jesus and Aguero for instance.

I can only think of height being on Rodri’s side. Asking for upgrades on Fern is a bit optimistic though. I wonder how comparable they were at a similar age?

I can only think of height being on Rodri’s side. Asking for upgrades on Fern is a bit optimistic though. I wonder how comparable they were at a similar age?

Fernandinho was playing further forward around that time and chipped in with a few goals so would be difficult to compare I'd presume. Surprisingly, Fernandinho has won far more aerial duels than Rodri despite the height difference but I think we're sort of highlighting just how good Dinho is and has been.

Rodri on lockdown: "I spent most of my time with my brothers, playing football in the garden, table tennis or in the pool. I also do homework for my university degree - there are exams in a few days. On top of that, I have been training and keeping fit."

Rodri on Pep Guardiola: "Pep is the best coach in the world. His success speaks for itself. I try to learn every day from him. He's helped me a lot, especially tactically. It's been the first time I played alone as a holding midfielder, so I have to adapt." [via
@ManCity

“I'm sure it's going to be helpful in the future one way or another. You never know. When I finish my career as a player I'd like to stay in contact with the sports world.” [via
@goal

Sounds like an intelligent guy and kudos for the university study when, realistically, we will probably earn enough during his current contract to be comfortable for life. I think he has done ok in a very demanding role combined with moving to a new country and will hopefully improve as he gets more experience.

Yes he is not as good as Fernandinho was in the two previous seasons but who could have been that we could realistically have bought during the Summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.