COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they guarantee it will work and be made available to everyone before another bout hits the country? I know they got a vaccine ready to deploy for SARS in about 9 months but it wasn't really needed, and some think they may get this one done in 6 months, which would be great. I really think the herd community idea is sensible, but still hope the vaccine is ready in record time.
it wont be done in less than a year for safety reasons,herd immunity works for the healthy who wont be much bothered by it but will spread it

look the government will have been presented with options, to think they wouldnt take the acceptable losses one for the greater good dice throw is naive

Exactly. I think as a society we’ve got to question if we have the right priorities. We can recover from the hit to the economy or the societal impact, no matter how hard that may be to do and how long it takes. There’s no recovery from losing loved ones, particularly if we haven’t done everything possible to stop it.

Fully agree. I don’t understand the logic in allowing this to run through the country without any sort of effort to stop it.

What makes no sense from that press conference is that the decision to not activate social distancing directly contradicts their explicit goal of “reducing the peak” and “stretching it out”. If we limit social contact now, the peak when it comes will be much smaller. Not doing so, and only activating that when the cases spiral, is going to give us a much larger peak and a much more crippled NHS. All because they think we’ll get bored? Fuck off. Bored of inept leadership maybe. How about you actually back your ability to mobilise us. If you engage with us effectively, the nation will unite and get through it together.

Have you watched the presser?

The vulnerable are being told now to take extra measures compared to the fit and healthy now.

When the lockdown comes, which needs to be at the right time, they will be the first to be ordered to, to protect them.

Reading between the lines China may well have to go through it again once the lockdown finishes and our plan is to try and build up immunity.

They have the best scientists available on this.
They may be the best scientists, but have they ever been to a football match?

The places in northern Italy that were locked down 2 weeks ago are not showing new cases. Further south cases are growing.

Seems to me that staying at home, whether ill or not is the answer. If you are infected hopefully after 2 weeks you recover and are not infectious, if you weren't infected at least you've not come into contact with anyone who is.

Looks like I was right at the start of the week, we have been groomed to other the elderly, those with underlying health conditions and the vulnerable

Re Herd Immunity, I’m not scientist but I imagine it takes years and an available vaccination. A quick Google search:

“Herd Immunity and the Flu
Some vaccines are better at producing herd immunity than others. The measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine is 97% effective at preventing measles. So when lots of people in a community get this vaccine, protection rates stay high.

The flu vaccine is a little different. It's only about 40% to 60% effective in any given year. That's because sometimes the virus strains in the vaccine don't exactly match the virus that spreads.”

We haven’t got a fucking chance!
That’s because the CDC and WHO vget together in May to decide which strain of the Flu is going to hit the west that coming autumn and winter (funnily enough by tracking outbreaks in China as it always comes from there).

They don’t always get it right as there are so many variants.

Hopefully Covid-19 won’t have so many different strains by the time we can create a viable vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.