COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
But not an EXTRA 500,000 deaths, i.e. 1million.

Deary me, is this what you are now clinging to? "Many of the 500,000 would have died anyway"?

Of course we don't know how many extra it is. What we do know is that 8,000 die per year from flu, so 500,000 dying is one year from a new flu-like virus would be quite a big deal.

Apologies if its been covered as this thread moves quite quickly but in regards to "Herd immunity" last week they were saying if you contract it and recover you are not immune and can catch it again, so what has changed that we now think we will be ok if 60% of the population get it? Also if we already have two strains you'd imagine it could mutate again and even if you become immune to one strain would you necessarily be immune to the others?
It’s highly highly unlikely you’d catch ‘it’ again. Most people would likely develop at least short-term immunity to the specific coronavirus that causes COVID-19. However, you would still be susceptible to a different coronavirus infection. Or, this particular virus could mutate, just like the influenza virus does each year. Often these mutations change the virus enough to make you susceptible, because your immune system thinks it is an infection that it has never seen before. So, if cancelling everything and shutting everything down for 4/5 months is the answer, we could well be doing it next year and the year after.

Reactions: ell
But you don’t seem to understand that when 9 experts are saying one thing, and the other 1 saying is saying another (for the uk) that it’s perfectly reasonable to question why that is and whether that’s correct.

Doing so does necessitate anyone believing they know better than the UK CMO.

But that’s not the situation at all. The government have a team of people on this and this Ashton fella is the only one persistently being given a platform against.

Deary me, is this what you are now clinging to? "Many of the 500,000 would have died anyway"?

Of course we don't know how many extra it is. What we do know is that 8,000 die per year from flu, so 500,000 dying is one year from a new flu-like virus would be quite a big deal.
Right that's me out of this if people aren't reading the thread properly. I'm trying to explain official numbers and you have just assumed something completely unrelated to the matter. I ain't got the patience any more.

I know were in frightening times but another concern for me is what happens if governments start panicking. Already we are hearing countries like Iran talk about this in terms of it being a biological attack by the US etc. Twitchy fingers on missile controls springs to mind. Probably just hyperbole from myself but as we are just at the beginning of this, who can tell how this will end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.