Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Mate, I really hate them. It's obvious from my posts in the Liverpool thread. I openly questioned their fitness levels, I still wonder whether it's normal to go nearly 2 seasons in top form without rotating your crucial players and without them getting any serious injuries. I think also that the season was bent, only after they got a big lead we started to get favourable decisions.

Still, Khaldoon knows better than us. If he agrees to award them the title, I won't be upset. In times like these there are more important things than Liverpool's title. Maybe it would be better to award them the title than conclude the season and give them the chance to break a few records.
Who are we to award titles? An incomplete season jeopardises the integrity of the league, no titles, relegations or promotions were awarded during WWI or WWII. Blackpool were top when the 1939 to 1940 season was abandoned and they have never won the league in their 132 year history! If Liverpool get this title that way then Blackpool should get that one!!!!...:)

If the PL clubs decide consensually the outcome, it's legal. It's as simple as that.

We may hate the dippers as much as we like but better not get absolutely desperate that the PL does not award them the title. It's enough that their season has been seriously flattened and falls short of our two great seasons.
Attempts will be made to finish the season if the possibility exists. Otherwise it will be cancelled and everything declared null and void in a legal sense at least. Whether the dippers would reveive some sort of consolation prize is another story. With Euro 2020 postponed this would allow an extra 3 to 4 weeks to complete fixtures in June but a definitive decision will need to be taken by early April when to restart or not. Despite what manny on this thread seem to think the decision when taken will have little or nothing to do with the consequences for the dippers but rather the consequences for a wide range of other clubs and stakeholders many of whom may have a lot more to lose.

Who are we to award titles? An incomplete season jeopardises the integrity of the league, no titles, relegations or promotions were awarded during WWI or WWII. Blackpool were top when the 1939 to 1940 season was abandoned and they have never won the league in their 132 year history! If Liverpool get this title that way then Blackpool should get that one!!!!...:)

spot on

It has to be voided. However, sponsorship money, TV cash, etc gets divided according to these 'final' league positions. Clubs cannot be awarded titles when nothing was won...it would devalue so much of winning means. It's hard luck, but it's what it is. WW2 is a precedent in a way. The legalities around this will be nuts.

Lots of dippers going on about a by-law that if 75% of games are completed a season can be curtailed as it stands in extreme circumstances. They’ve done their maths and are ok with 29/38. However if such a rule exists surely it would be 75% of the 380 games that would be needed? I’ve not worked how close we are to that threshold but reckon we are below it and why they wanted this round of games to go ahead before players were affected.

The clamour will grow from the usual suspects to award Liverpool the title. They have already had some scouse bloke in a studio setting saying it has to be done and it is only fair. No it isn't! Two of their nine remaining games are against Everton and ourselves. They could lose them, draw a few and their bottle go. They look tired and leggy. Yes it is a long shot but it is typical arrogance as usual for them to think it would be nailed on.

On this basis, as we are favourites and only three games from winning the fa cup again, will it be awarded to us? You know the answer!

exactly, you cant give out a title based on a prediction, however likely it seems. Who'd have predicted us clawing back those 8 points in 2012, or liverpool coming back from 3-0 down against Barca last season, or heck their istanbull win, if any club should respect the unpredictability of sport, it should be them.

I get that they are so far in front, i even agree that they definitely deserve it, based on their season so far, but that based on an incomplete season can't be enough.
that would be like arguing that based on their last 5 games that they lost 4 of, on that form it would be certain they wouldnt win the league. Or that based on our firt leg against real madrid we are likely to win the CL, or that based on the first 15 minutes against norwich, tottenham deserve the FA cup. the margins are academic, it is either seen through to conclusion, or it counts for nothing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.