Best performance by a visiting team

I can remember circa 1993 playing Leeds on the opening day of the season and they absolutely murdered us. Typical City however we actually took the lead with a couple of minutes left only for Deane?? to equalise in injury time.

Individual performance , Thierry Henry , I think it was at Maine road, stood to applaud him off, worst, any Gary Neville performance at Maine road.

Nottingham Forest in the cup a few years back. Not even Garrido could have saved us that day.

I can remember circa 1993 playing Leeds on the opening day of the season and they absolutely murdered us. Typical City however we actually took the lead with a couple of minutes left only for Deane?? to equalise in injury time.
Remember that well, it kicked off next to us in north stand when a group of leeds jumped up!!

I agree with all that. I do have an odd recollection (and it might just be me) but I think their reserve keeper (Taylor?) had an absolute blinder in the second half. That being said, if we’d got a couple I got the feeling they’d have just gone up the other end and it would have finished 3-7! I also remember Henry get a huge round of applause when taking a corner!
Didn't he also get greeted with 'who the effinell are you?' and the team get 'boring, boring Arsenal' as part of the City fans' graveyard humour which caused the Arsenal fans to applaud us fans at the end?

Like many others the great Arsenal side's that beat us 0-4 and 1-5 left me in awe of them. I honestly thought I'd never see City play football as beautiful as that. I even remember the City fans applauding off the Arsenal players being subbed.

It seemed like that Dortmund team we somehow managed to draw 1-1 with had 22 men on the pitch, as they worked so hard. God knows how Joe Hart kept us in that game.

I also fondly remember the Leeds team of the early 2000's that beat us 2-5 in the FA Cup at Maine Road. Harry Kewell seemed like Messi compared to some of the dross we'd got used to seeing play against us.

The great Arsenal teams mentioned were the ones that I remember the most, incredible football that was a joy to watch even when we were on the end of it.
Napoli were another, at the time I hadn't rally seen anything like it, a back four, three holding midfielders and a front three that just ran at our defence with incredible pace while interchanging positions. I don't think anyone in our team knew what the hell was going on when they got hold of the ball. The interplay and movement of their attackers was incredible to watch, even though Klopp's teams go this route the way Napoli played it was a good two or three levels above Liverpool's interpretation of this system.

Talking of applauding Thierry Henry off reminds me of a City v Villa game a few years back. It was utter dross from both sides, with one outstanding exception - Paul Merson, no less.

He was absolute class that day, head & shoulders above the other 21 players. When he was subbed he received a very generous round of applause from the City fans, who had recognised his quality.

Just shows we aren't biased! But we can easily forget what a talented player Merson was.

What a pity he spouts such bilge and has done some senseless things in his life.

Bury 0-1,but then again that Arsenal 4-0 game at Maine Rd was impressive.Remember the standing ovation Paddy Vieira got as he came off after being substituted.He was a player in his pomp

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.