COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was due to take the family to London next weekend (planned on taking my lad to Chelsea away before it got rearranged/cancelled) but not sure if it's a good idea now. Can't get refunds for the train or hotel (or theatre tickets for the Sat night) so it'd leave me out of pocket but don't know if we want to be travelling around on the tube, in a busy theatre etc. Or is that an over the top reaction - should we just carry on as planned?

I’d stay away. Just not worth the risk. I’m putting normal life on hold for the time being and if I’m found to be overreacting then so be it.

Yep - I commented some days ago how this thread has been really quite informative and helped me in making some decisions

Increasingly though - and especially the last 24 hours or so - we have the same old attitude where some of the posters that are known for having a tendency for getting bolshie using the thread as a platform. Even for a subject of this importance it seems some people cannot stop themselves

I have gone from reading the thread throughout to just skimming to see if there is any sign of something that might prove useful.

Anyway, I went into Morrisons at 1010 - so only just opened - had to park at the far end of the overflow car park and could not believe the sight when I got inside - absolutely mobbed

I guess that the period of people not panic buying has come to an end!!

I was OK - I just got more Strongbow, Stella, wine and Vodka - as I did my stocking up some time ago

yep this thread has gone from being a useful discussion on the science and the like into a bickering mess.

you can see all the trolling types in action!

See Cadburys still running their grandad easter egg tv ad....

Get Grandkids coming round to his flat, get them all hugging him...............for a couple of dairy milk eggs,

It was about 3 days ago. Not Months.
From a report dated 14th March:
"Officials at another manufacturer, Drägerwerk AG & Co., told ABC News they just received an order for 10,000 ventilators from the German government. “The delivery of the order will stretch across the entire year and requires a substantial increase of the production capacity,” a spokesperson said."
Thank you for the correction and information. Shows though they are on the ball

Quite distressing watching it with the Doctor quite visibly upset. NHS is on its knees already and will not be able to cope.
No health care system in the world would be able to cope if the current rise in levels of infection isn't checked. The idea of the NHS being unaware of the vital need for more ventilator beds doesn't stack up either I'm afraid.

The big problem is that much of the country does not trust Johnson. It is essential in a crisis that a population trusts its government and believes what they are telling it, otherwise everything is likely to breakdown as people just fuck it off and take their own action. The issue we have is that everybody knows Johnson is a liar, and I don't accept the "all politicians lie" bollocks, it's false equivalence, everyone knows Johnson is dishonest way beyond any norm. Even the people who voted for him know he's a liar, it's just that they liked that he was lying 6 months ago because his lies and cheating suited them at that point. Well it's fucked now because we can't believe a word he says when we need to. Granted, we couldn't have predicted a consequence as grave as this but it was easily predictable that people applauding, enabling and voting for overt dishonesty would bite even those applauding it on the arse at some point. People don't seem to like any political point being made over this but it is entirely relevant to the situation we find ourselves in.
Just an observation - I know and accept that people find it hard to rise above the need to simply slag of the government and PM because - well simply because it is the Tories and Johnson - and they cannot stop their need to hate.

FWIW - whilst I have not really had a positive thing to say about Johnson - I absolutely think that we should all thank fuck the election in December happened and brought about a resounding working majority - no matter for which party

I have not seen it commented on - but at least we can take a view - positive or critical - of the government's handling. Just imagine what things would be like if the position at Westminster was like it had been throughout 2018/19 - utterly paralysed and unable to make any decisions - with parties playing political games.

That would be undeniably far far worse - and I genuinely do not think that anyone could not agree with this view - unless they are just so utterly full of hate as do be not to be able to think.

FWIW, I've decided I am not going to post much more on this thread (not zero posts, but a significant drop) because people clearly have intrenched positions.

I hope (and expect) that the government will soon start to introduce measures much more in line with those of Italy, Spain and France. And that therefore, once they have done that, the actual numbers (not the reported ones) will begin to fall, and things will get back under control. There seems to be circa a 2 week lag, where after lock down, reported numbers continue to rise - representing those already infected before the lockdown, working their way through the system. Getting infected > Incubating > Feeling ill > Getting Worse and finally being picked up as a statistic. That is taking about 2 weeks. So perhaps mid April, things may seem a bit less grim.

In the meantime, I expect it to get progressively worse and more Italy-like, with some awful stats and stories to come over the next 3 or 4 weeks. It's just too depressing and I am going to try to stay safe and concentrate on other things.

For Public Service
Please read, and heed the warnings.

I have family in Italy and Spain in lockdown currently and have been sent this, I am sure given the nature of this, it has some credibility to wake up the zombies running our country but I wouldn't count on it!

Hello Everyone,
My name is Alessandro, a nurse here in Lombardia region of Italy. I am writing in english so that my friends in UK and France can understand my message.
To my friends and relatives in Rome and Napoli, to my countrymen south of Lombardia, the epicenter of the the Covid-19 epidemic in Italy.
I wrote this message to warn you and let you know about the situation here in Northern Italy. I just finished my 24 hour shift.
All of my fellow nurses and the doctors are working non stop to help stop the virus. Our hospitals in the north our working 200 % of its capacity. Many of the sick old people are left to die.
The doctors chooses which patient that we wil try to recover. Patients who are positive but are not having emergency health problems are being sent home and do self quarantine as we no longer have space in the hospitals.
I beg my countrymen and friends here and abroad, to please listen to the warning of the government. China gave the world 2-3 months warning about the effects of the virus but no one listened.
When the virus had just started in the north, no one listened that they need to protect themselves. They said it is just a normal flu, it is not. Many who are already sick still went out and have coffee in the bars and went to the restaurants and ignore the plea of the government to stay indoors.
We Italians are a proud race, we always say we can do things our way. Then we woke up one day many are already sick and dying. I will tell you, the Covid-19 virus did not kill the victims, Ignorance did. Because many ignored the warnings to remain indoors and do self quarantine when sick.
Please I beg you, now that our whole country is in lockdown, stay indoors, please look at us as your example. Covid-19 will come to you eventually. But as I said, Ignorance is far more deadly than the virus itself. As I write this letter, I already lost my mother and grandparents due to the virus. These events will pass, but only if we will do our part....

Was due to take the family to London next weekend (planned on taking my lad to Chelsea away before it got rearranged/cancelled) but not sure if it's a good idea now. Can't get refunds for the train or hotel (or theatre tickets for the Sat night) so it'd leave me out of pocket but don't know if we want to be travelling around on the tube, in a busy theatre etc. Or is that an over the top reaction - should we just carry on as planned?
I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't cancel until you see how it pans out this week, if the government force cancellations its not your fault and they'll have to offer refunds for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.