The Mark Hughes instruction that led to iconic Sergio Aguero and Man City moment

One of the senior QPR defenders, can’t remember his name, was on the radio talking about this about 6 months ago

He said the defenders and paddy Kenny hadn’t been made aware they were safe as they were furthest from the bench. And when the ball hit the net they thought they were down

One of the senior QPR defenders, can’t remember his name, was on the radio talking about this about 6 months ago

He said the defenders and paddy Kenny hadn’t been made aware they were safe as they were furthest from the bench. And when the ball hit the net they thought they were down

That rings true.

Didn’t Nedum do an interview recently where he realised he’d given the throw in straight back to City and when we scored he felt like he thought he had personally relegated QPR ?

I remember cursing Nasri for letting the ball run out when it was obvious it came off one of our players.

I then spent the next 20 secs asking every man and his dog around me if they knew the Utd score.

I remember someone shouting they’ve won 1-0 just as De Jong carried it forward and feeling absolutely gutted, to the point of beginning to cry.

When I saw the North Stand go up celebrating, I just went into delirium.

I was that emotional because of being so upset to happy within seconds that I just sobbed.

I’ve never cried like that in my adult life.

Just his perspective on the greatest moment in pl history, not to much to look into it, he does appear to be right though, a team looking to close the game or spoil the party wouldn't just punt ball into opposition half from the kick off.

Have anyone ever seen this tactic before or after where team needing to score is just gifted the possession from kick of?

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere else, but is Mark Hughes trying to rewrite history. I know it has been a few years now, but at 2-2, I am certain the Bolton game at Stoke was still ongoing. Here is what is written in the MuEN-

The sight of Sergio Aguero lashing the ball past Paddy Kenny before wheeling away to celebrate inside a joyous Etihad Stadium is a memory etched into the brain of Manchester City fans.

One goal completed an unbelievable comeback for Roberto Mancini's side against QPR having trailed going into injury time and saw them claim their first Premier League title on goal difference at the expense of their main rivals United, whose game with Sunderland had finished minutes earlier.

City's famous victory would not have been possible, however, without the contribution of QPR and former Blues boss Mark Hughes. Before they kicked off to restart the game at 2-2, the players turned to Hughes to see what he wanted them to do.

With the relegation battle also going down to the final day, the whistle had already gone to call time on Bolton's stay in the Premier League. The QPR players knew before they had finished in Manchester that they would be staying in the division for the following season.

That was in Hughes's mind as he told Jay Bothroyd to whack it into City territory rather than attempt to keep possession.

"They got back on level terms and I always remember at that point we knew we were safe because the other result had come in," Hughes told The Coaches Voice.

"At that point I wanted to make sure, because United were up the road obviously waiting on the result. I'm thinking 'I wouldn't mind United winning, if I'm honest'. So I'm thinking we've just conceded the second goal, it's 2-2. I think it was Jay Bothroyd who looked over and said 'What do you want us to do?'

"Because the players had obviously understood that the game was over and we'd stayed up. We just said: 'Just kick it as far as you can, right in the corner, the game's over'.

The ball was indeed punted out of play near City's corner flag but was picked up by Joe Hart, who had sprinted from goal as soon as he saw where the ball was heading and threw it back into play. Gael Clichy ran unopposed into the QPR third and laid the ball left to Samir Nasri. The ball was half-cleared but Nasri recovered possession and curled it into the box.

This time it was cleared and Shaun Wright-Phillips carried the ball to the halfway line and won a throw. From it, Joleon Lescott won the header, Nigel de Jong moved forward and found Aguero who exchanged passes with Mario Balotelli and fired the ball into the net.

"I have to say, of all the games I've been involved in, the noise at the moment when that goal went in is different to anything I've heard before or since," said Hughes. "It was just unbelievable sound - different sound to a football crowd. It was a mixture of screaming and noise and it was just an unbelievable moment."

Nedum ran half the length of the pitch to take the throw in he almost threw it to joeleon, he was also out of position for the goal Once a blue

44 seconds into the video you see the QPR staff jump up knowing they've survived
23 seconds later the Agueroooooooooooooooo moment

and that will never happen again if we stick with var

edit: it wont happen like that again anyway but you know what im getting at !

One thing is for sure....nothing will ever in the history of football beat that for excitement and ecstasy....so f**k the dippers with their CV19 title celebrations should they be handed it on a plate!

Just his perspective on the greatest moment in pl history, not to much to look into it, he does appear to be right though, a team looking to close the game or spoil the party wouldn't just punt ball into opposition half from the kick off.

Have anyone ever seen this tactic before or after where team needing to score is just gifted the possession from kick of?

They didn't need to score. A draw would have kept them up no matter what Bolton did. Stoke effectively relegated Bolton and our game from QPR perspective was meaningless. Although of course they didnt know that at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.