COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, someone posted his tweet about our national policy being a parody. There are clearly differences among experts about the best way forward but my reaction is that his social media catchline was unhelpful and the article you linked is actually pretty bad - eg " About that second wave: let me be clear. Second waves are real things, and we have seen them in flu pandemics. This is not a flu pandemic. Flu rules do not apply. There might well be a second wave, I honestly don’t know. But vulnerable people should not be exposed to a virus right now in the service of a hypothetical future." The suggestion that vulnerable people are being deliberately exposed is the exact opposite of what our government merasures are aiming to do. Also, there may be some differences between Covid19 and other viruses but all epidemics end because of immunity through the creation of resistant antibodies in the recovered population.

SARS didn’t.
It just disappeared

Interesting data and findings released by from a professor of clinical immunology.

In this letter, Romagnani explains why massive testing of both symtomatic and asymptomatic cases is vital in order to reduce the spread of Covid-19. This suggests that the policy to stop testing is going to be counterproductive.

Can’t help wondering why some of the biggest firms out there like BA have little or no cash reserves. Within weeks of this crisis occurring these firms are running out of cash and looking for bailouts. Demands from shareholders (pension funds) and weak leadership from CEOs means that any cash or assets are returned to shareholders as many companies struggle to deliver the unrealistic ‘returns’ demanded by shareholders. We saw this in 2008 there wasn’t a house builder - despite decades of huge profits- that had any cash - they were all borrowing to build and when liquidity dried up they couldn’t build. You’d hope that company’s would learn lessons but they don’t.... they live hand to mouth and seem to have little or no contingency for any pause or problem with the market. The world is about to go through a paradigm shift... I don’t know how well prepared other companies are but I really don’t think UK firms look particularly resilient. I do know from my earlier career working in US firms they always had huge cash mountains set aside for a rainy day - i don’t see any evidence of many UK firms sitting on big cash contingencies. I guess many US firms will be flicking through the fine print of Chapter 11 - another competitive advantage not afforded to UK firms.

I’m going to put a different slant on the situation. Picture this under lockdown conditions:
  • 100% of normal income for those fortunate enough to work from home or enjoy the protection of guaranteed salaries, secure jobs and/or generous sick pay.
  • For less fortunate ones, zero or vastly reduced income, mounting debts, maybe a bankrupt business. Increasing desperation, division, rancour, boredom and restlessness. Rinse and repeat for another two or three months.
Maybe it will become inevitable at some point; maybe not. Scientists looking down their test tubes don’t have to wrestle with that timeline. Nor do well-upholstered posters. Governments do. To rush into that situation would be very brave ...or very foolish.
Alas I've got the bloody thing apparently going into 6th day never had anything like it in my life first 2 night all bedding had to be changed soaked through, already cost me around £1500 in wages fortunately I can stand it at least for a while no SSP for me and looking into claiming ESA do me a favour face to face interview well they will be welcome. What you get for working in the North East with the council loads of them have it allegedly even the bloody MP. I seem to be getting over it still red hot and a cough from hell.

I'm impressed by them to be fair.
That's the level of social disapproval that they will need to protect themselves.
No reflection on your best intentions by the way. But it's got you thinking all the same about how best to help in the future.

That's very true, I did respect their opinion and it has made me think on how best to help others. Thanks for taking the time and coming up with the view you have, helps a lot. Just my first experience of self -protection by strangers to another, and on reflection, fully understandable.

Can’t help wondering why some of the biggest firms out there like BA have little or no cash reserves. Within weeks of this crisis occurring these firms are running out of cash and looking for bailouts. Demands from shareholders (pension funds) and weak leadership from CEOs means that any cash or assets are returned to shareholders as many companies struggle to deliver the unrealistic ‘returns’ demanded by shareholders. We saw this in 2008 there wasn’t a house builder - despite decades of huge profits- that had any cash - they were all borrowing to build and when liquidity dried up they couldn’t build. You’d hope that company’s would learn lessons but they don’t.... they live hand to mouth and seem to have little or no contingency for any pause or problem with the market. The world is about to go through a paradigm shift... I don’t know how well prepared other companies are but I really don’t think UK firms look particularly resilient. I do know from my earlier career working in US firms they always had huge cash mountains set aside for a rainy day - i don’t see any evidence of many UK firms sitting on big cash contingencies. I guess many US firms will be flicking through the fine print of Chapter 11 - another competitive advantage not afforded to UK firms.

While I agree with some of your point, BA are opposed to a bailout as they have cash reserves. They want the weaker airlines like Virgin to fail so they will have less competition and make more profit in the long run. Government will likely bailout some industries they regard as key for long term growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.