Should half time be extended?

It was in the late 80s in England for FA Cup and League, there were a few changes around the same time, 2 subs allowed and the red and yellow cards in the football league pretty sure this happened around 87 or 88. The halftime could have been different for different levels and countries though until 1995, and it was still less then at lower levels.

In 1994 the talk was of going to 4 quarters as the USA wanted that, and it could happen following the world cup there.
I was sure tbf. The internet is full of shit!

lots of replies about not wanting it, and cut it down shorter, but we all know that is not feasible, for many reasons. player rest and conditioning being one that we would all support as a valid reason.

being realistic, if a clubs concourse is set up right and staffed right, and there are enough piss stones it could be done in 15 mins. but we know that is fantasy land. even the clubs want us spending at half time, and they are the ones who cant get organised enough to get it right.

i missed the 1st 10 minutes of the 2nd half of the cup final at wembley cos my son wanted a burger. so we traipsed round looking for somewhere. couldnt find one, so settled for a hot dog. went for a piss, had a drink - ten minutes late.

why should we miss the very thing we are there to see because we just happen to want to be fed, watered and relieved of bodily fluids?

expecting clubs to get things right is pointless, they never have done, and probably never will do. so, stick an extra 5 minutes on the half time break and let folk see the game without rushing back dripping in ketchup, with a piss stain down the front of their jeans.

lots of replies about not wanting it, and cut it down shorter, but we all know that is not feasible, for many reasons. player rest and conditioning being one that we would all support as a valid reason.

being realistic, if a clubs concourse is set up right and staffed right, and there are enough piss stones it could be done in 15 mins. but we know that is fantasy land. even the clubs want us spending at half time, and they are the ones who cant get organised enough to get it right.

i missed the 1st 10 minutes of the 2nd half of the cup final at wembley cos my son wanted a burger. so we traipsed round looking for somewhere. couldnt find one, so settled for a hot dog. went for a piss, had a drink - ten minutes late.

why should we miss the very thing we are there to see because we just happen to want to be fed, watered and relieved of bodily fluids?

expecting clubs to get things right is pointless, they never have done, and probably never will do. so, stick an extra 5 minutes on the half time break and let folk see the game without rushing back dripping in ketchup, with a piss stain down the front of their jeans.

Surely you could have got there 15 minutes earlier and had plenty of time to do all that? - when my lad was young I always aimed to be in our seats 20 minutes before the kick off.

3 periods of 30 minutes would make more sense - could get more ad breaks on the telly too, so clubs revenue could go up, which would be really helpful beating FFP too, as we’d have more dough.
Right, time for another trip to the fridge...., cheers.

fair few preseason games I’ve been to watch clubs lower in the leagues have done that

It was in the late 80s in England for FA Cup and League, there were a few changes around the same time, 2 subs allowed and the red and yellow cards in the football league pretty sure this happened around 87 or 88. The halftime could have been different for different levels and countries though until 1995, and it was still less then at lower levels.

In 1994 the talk was of going to 4 quarters as the USA wanted that, and it could happen following the world cup there.
I thought it was when Howard Kendall was our manager, as I seem to remember him being against the extra five minutes.

"Ten minutes is plenty of time to get your message across," was his comment, if I’m not mistaken.

Any longer and the players would be getting cold and stiff. They would need another warm-up before the second half starts if it’s extended.

I thought it was when Howard Kendall was our manager, as I seem to remember him being against the extra five minutes.

"Ten minutes is plenty of time to get your message across," was his comment, if I’m not mistaken.

You may be correct, that would make it 1990.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.