COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the stats, Germany has 5 times the number of cases we have yet only one third of the deaths. I.e. 1/15th of our mortality rate.
Are they testing more?

All the dead people have been tested.

Not all the people with the virus have been tested.

If most people who catch it are asymptomatic, the more of them you test the lower the proportion who die from it.

And the more people who have had it and are both immune and cannot spread it, the sooner we can get back to normal - but you have to test before you know that. Mass testing of a sample area would tell us a lot. I heard one example a couple of days ago (a small town in Germany?). You could do it in Derbyshire villages, like Eyam.

This is totally off the top of my uneducated head...

I think they have a larger Chinese migrant population who all returned from new year at once.

They’re more touchy feely with greetings and families often live together, more than we do.

The north of Italy has many villages with the oldest population in Europe.

Their patient 1/0/whatever didn’t show symptoms for ages and infected dozens without knowing, which saw the spread start much quicker.

Add the above in and realise it’s a big case of bad luck and there you go.

@Uffa

Feel free to correct me or add to the above mate.

Edit - sorry, you did say the family thing. Didnt see it.

Another theory is that families live together. You'll have a house with 80-90 year old grandparents in, and 60 year old parents, all living together... I don't know if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. It strikes me as an exceptionally Italian thing to do. You could have four high risk people under the same household. Recipe for disaster.

Should get back to something resembling normal after a few days.
If your supply chains are safe, you can have the supermarkets restocked every day.
If people see that the shelves are being repeatedly restocked things will settle down. That message should be repeated over and over on airwaves/media to get it through to people.
The message was being pumped at us day after day over here, reassuring people that out supply chains are safe and we have enough food to feed 40 million people in stock.
As well as the fact that your actions affect others, mainly the most vulnerable....
People stock piling are wasting their money, etc.

Supermarkets should invoke tiered pricing so items 1-2 @100% 3@200% 3@400% etc, let the stupid buggers bankrupt themselves and the gov collects the surplus as convid19 Idiot tax to use to relieve the burdens on the rest of society.

Everything you say there seems to be common ground with our the government and every other rational individual - it's CB's call for "troops on the streets" that's completely OTT in the present circumstances
I didn't see that part George. I am trying to read everything in here, but have occasionally skipped through just to catch up.

I’ve just been sent this by a family member. Not sure how credible it is but I wouldn’t be surprised.....

“Listen guys, don’t mean to scare anybody and obviously don’t shoot the messenger but my friend is pretty high up in the police force and has been told via the home office we are going on lockdown as of next week. 2 weeks to start with she’s been told. She’s just rang me now. What we do with this is up to us but I’m passing it on regardless and if it doesn’t happen then we have lots of food to eat. xxxxxx”

Agree with others, a lockdown is not something to worry about in general. Government will have been having high level talks in the background with key industries such as food, water and health services to put things in place for the lockdown, we’re starting to see some of those now, such as supermarket delivery capacity.

My son’s school say they have no plans to shut, he’s in Year 11 and has brought home loads of GCSE work which normally stays in school- ‘Just in Case’!! He has a maths tutor and suddenly she has a meeting Saturday and can see him on a week night.

Lockdown is the best thing for most people, if we know anyone who might struggle we all have a duty to do what we can to support them. We are all in this together.

Too right. I think they're actually being more than a bit snide. We have a flight to Bilbao booked with EasyJet going out on 17th April. The government yesterday urged against all non essential travel abroad for 30 days and as luck would have it, our flight is 1 day after that elapses. Now of course that could be extended yet so far EasyJet have cancelled all flights to Spain up until March 29th only so as things stand if I decided not to go (and to be honest I've no intention of going given the current situation), I'd lose the flight money. It's not a great deal of cash (and luckily the hotel I've booked has free cancellation up until 14th April), and it's nothing compared to the whole Covid 19 situation but I think it's unfair that these airlines are still flying to various places which puts the onus on the customer to travel anyway, even if that place has strict restrictions when you get there.

I've also got a holiday to Malta booked in late June so it's the same situation with that one too. Like you, and refund issues aside, I'm happy to can the lot off until next year when this has hopefully abated and book something really decent.
I've moved Bulgaria (end of May) to next year same time. I've only paid £100 deposit so far, no great loss, my other booked holiday is Rhodes in Oct, again only paid £100 so far but due £300 to pay half the balance next week, think I may just let that one go and take the £100 hit which is a shame as we go to the small hotel there at least once a year and are almost family.

I’m concerned , so many people buying as much stock as possible everyday when they’re already stockpiled - a daily trip to cure there boredom- yet so many vulnerable people will have very little when this lockdown really begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.