COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any discussion as to why Italy's cases and deaths has escalated much quicker than the UK?

Up until the 19th Feb we had more cases then suddenly theirs has gone through the roof. Has our advice of constantly washing hands actually worked in keeping the spread down or is it just pure luck?

2 separate strains were mentioned at one point, has this now been debunked?

This is totally off the top of my uneducated head...

I think they have a larger Chinese migrant population who all returned from new year at once.

They’re more touchy feely with greetings and families often live together, more than we do.

The north of Italy has many villages with the oldest population in Europe.

Their patient 1/0/whatever didn’t show symptoms for ages and infected dozens without knowing, which saw the spread start much quicker.

Add the above in and realise it’s a big case of bad luck and there you go.

@Uffa

Feel free to correct me or add to the above mate.
Yep, in this article
Why South Korea has so few coronavirus deaths while Italy has so many

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/16/...oronavirus-survivability-sepkowitz/index.html
the age factor is explained pretty clearly, plus as you said patient 1 (we don't know who patient 0 was) had the virus for weeks while he was running two marathons around various towns and went out to play amateur football. When he fell ill he went to the hospital/GP (thus infecting loads more elderly and frail people) but they didn't identify it as covid-19 and sent him home with medicament. Then he was brought back to the hospital when it turned life-threatening but they only diagnosed it as covid-19 when he was already in ICU. So his second trip to the hospital also infected other people. So not a very lucky situation for our first covid patient.

I don't know if age + our bad luck with patient 1 explains it all, but it certainly explains a bit of it.

This is totally off the top of my uneducated head...

I think they have a larger Chinese migrant population who all returned from new year at once.

They’re more touchy feely with greetings and families often live together, more than we do.

The north of Italy has many villages with the oldest population in Europe.

Their patient 1/0/whatever didn’t show symptoms for ages and infected dozens without knowing, which saw the spread start much quicker.

Add the above in and realise it’s a big case of bad luck and there you go.

@Uffa

Feel free to correct me or add to the above mate.

Patients 4/5/6/7 or whatever were all quacks and nurses spreading it to patients that were already hospitalised who spread to other staff and patients in the early days as well. They had a near perfect storm for spread initially

The latest is this ridiculous bill that the government are pushing through, to arrest and fine anyone that isn't using the self isolation process. Seems way ott to me.
The fact you think it is way over the top is the precise reason they're having to make it a law. Some people still aren't grasping the seriousness of the situation we find ourselves in.

Many of the short term solutions are disjointed, it looks like society is closing down and on the Sky News report they are going on about contacting the lender if you have a mortgage, looks like there wont be anyone at a desk anywhere to actually speak to.

There is nothing for renters so far but landlords who benefit from the assistance have been encouraged to help their tenants.

The advice is the same given to anyone struggling with mortgage repayments, regardless of the reason: contact your lender.

Appears to me that nothing has been done, when they say help packages they just mean big business again don't they?

they CAN'T skip any trials,it is regulated,it will not be done

Karen, I cited the boss of one of the best medical companies around who is in talks with Germany and EU politicians every day now. Maybe he knows better about the regulations and their (potential in extraordinary circumstances) flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.