COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are cases in Japan where someone had it, we given the all clear and retested positive 3 weeks later, also lots of cases in China ( 13% if I recall ) re tested positive.

the assumption was at the time that this could be a reinfection however the newest thought on it is that people had been getting false negatives on the tests ( apparently throat swabs are not the most reliable type of test as can be taking incorrectly ). so it looks like in some cases the virus can linger on for a 4/5/6 weeks.
Great! Thanks for that. I suppose we just need to keep learning from other countries that are more down the line with this

It's a funny old world. Took my son with an underlying condition out of school in Wales early last week and got pure shit from some people, one or two people even told my wife we were being irresponsible. 8 days later the school is shutting.
Twats. Who do they think they are telling you what you can and can’t do with your own kids. Hope you told them to go fuck themselves

Are they testing more?

All the dead people have been tested.

Not all the people with the virus have been tested.

If most people who catch it are asymptomatic, the more of them you test the lower the proportion who die from it.

And the more people who have had it and are both immune and cannot spread it, the sooner we can get back to normal - but you have to test before you know that. Mass testing of a sample area would tell us a lot. I heard one example a couple of days ago (a small town in Germany?). You could do it in Derbyshire villages, like Eyam.
I said about the unknown numbers of untested people Vic, but I do not believe we have 15x as many people infected in the UK compared to Germany, do you? 2x, 3x, 0.5x, 0.3x Yes I could believe any of those stats. But 15x?

And we have to get out of our heads this idea that we will see any time soon a significant proportion - and god help us a majority - infected. That would be an unmitigated disaster with 100k dead in the UK at least. Must Not Happen.

I wasn’t aware you can still be a carrier once you’ve had it and are not clear. Are you sure? That’s very worrying if so
Japan has reported its first case of a person becoming reinfected with the coronavirus after appearing to have fully recovered.

Officials in Osaka confirmed that a woman who works as a tour bus guide had tested positive for COVID-19 for the second time, further heightening concerns about the spread of the infection in the country

While there have been a number of cases of reinfection in China, notably in Wuhan province where the coronavirus outbreak originated late last year, second positive tests have not been reported elsewhere in the world

The woman in Osaka, western Japan, who is in her 40s, tested positive on Wednesday after developing a sore throat and chest pains

Philip Tierno Jr, professor of microbiology and pathology at New York University, said: "Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant and with minimal symptoms.

"And then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...erson-being-reinfected-with-covid-19-11944295

I wasn’t aware you can still be a carrier once you’ve had it and are not clear. Are you sure? That’s very worrying if so

A person is a surface of course they can physically carry it on their clothes hair skin etc, it's now being reported that it can live on surfaces for days.

I said about the unknown numbers of untested people Vic, but I do not believe we have 15x as many people infected in the UK compared to Germany, do you? 2x, 3x, 0.5x, 0.3x Yes I could believe any of those stats. But 15x?

And we have to get out of our heads this idea that we will see any time soon a significant proportion - and god help us a majority - infected. That would be an unmitigated disaster with 100k dead in the UK at least. Must Not Happen.

I agree on that - getting to herd immunity is at least 2 years to prevent overload on the system, and probably much longer in reality.

The country manage to immunise everyone against some things, and I don't see a reason they wouldn't aim to vaccinate a huge percentage once one is confirmed. It makes no sense not to.

I genuinely think if they tested the whole population it’d come back with similar numbers to China have officially published.

Ie 80k+

Then again I reckon theirs is well behind too.
Sobering (and encouraging however) to think that if we do have 80,000 cases, it is still means circa 99.9% of the UK population are still not infected.

Whilst the infections are still down in the 0.1% of the population range, we still have a chance to lock this down and start to reduce the numbers, not watch them exponentially increase.

Sobering (and encouraging however) to think that if we do have 80,000 cases, it is still means circa 99.9% of the UK population are still not infected.

Whilst the infections are still down in the 0.1% of the population range, we still have a chance to lock this down and start to reduce the numbers, not watch them exponentially increase.

That’s just a number I’ve plucked out of thin air just based on our testing and how many are seemingly showing symptoms.

I genuinely think it’s a very large number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.