The idiocy (and selfishness) of panic buying

Without being gross,the virus gave me the shits for the first couple of days,i was shitting blood,must have got through loads of toilet roll and that is just me on my own
People were panic buying toilet rolls way before the general internet knew about your bowel habits! LOL! x

It is quite incredible that people are buying so much meat. Our daughter works part time in our 'local' butcher and he is laughing all the way to the bank. Just charging normal prices. They just don't understand that we are not short of animals to eat. Absolute pillocks.
It's similar in farm shops. My wife is manager of a farm shop and they are taking more money than christmas...every day, because there is no shortage of food. It's crazy money they are taking.

People were panic buying toilet rolls way before the general internet knew about your bowel habits! LOL! x

It started in Japan apparently, someone posted that toilet roll was imported from China. Now the panic has spread as fast as the virus.
It always gives me a smidgin of pleasure knowing that the paper I use when visiting family in Manchester comes from Trafford.

Honest question to those wanting to shoot panic buyers.

Knowing what you know now, would you still not stock up at the beginning if this was to happen again in a few years.
Or would you still just buy enough for a few days?

Anyone thinking that in future (when this is done and dusted), i'm going to make sure we have good stock of essentials just in case.

I think it's a question of what's left.

If you went to a shop 3 weeks ago and bought 10 bags of pasta when there were 300 bags on the shelf then well done and it would be restricted in 30 minutes, you saw it coming and are well prepared - beyond what anyone will ever need.

If you went to a shop 3 days ago and bought 5 bags of pasta when there were 10 on the shelf and you know people are being left short because of panic buying then you're a twat.

I think like you after all this is over I will maintain a bigger pantry of long term foods or maybe just pay keener attention to the next epidemic in Asia and prepare early - but I'm not going to leave others unable to buy food because I've filled a shopping cart with enough beans to feed the 5000.

It feels to me like the hoarders are treating this like an extended Xmas break. Few weeks off work, loads of grub. Instead of it being a week and a half like Xmas they’re thinking 6 weeks of living like a fat fuck.

I live in my own and have stuck to my weekly shop, can’t afford to do out else. Still in work. Might go trolley tipping tonight just for a fucking laugh

It is stupidity what people are doing. But people are also scared and don't know what is going to happen in the future.

I actually blame the main supermarkets though. They have trimmed reserve stock down to "just in time". That in any time of crisis, they just cannot respond quick enough to cope.
People are then seeing empty shelves and buying absolutely anything just in case that goes too. Yet as it has been pointed out, many smaller "cash and carry" supplied shops are doing ok.
OK, it might not be the brands you normally buy, but food is out there.

I did my normal shop at Costco last week. It was rammed with stuff. The only restriction was on toilet rolls. One pack but with 40 rolls!
I've seen the news over the last few days and Costco looks a nightmare.

All i can do is what i have been doing, checking and looking after my friends/family and neighbours.
Up to now, all have managed to get what they need.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.