Casual staff at City - club confirm they will be paid

My wife works for City on matchdays. She is employed directly by MCFC and her wage slips are from City. She hasn’t missed working a game in over 3 years often going in ill or getting up at 4.30am for a 12.30 ko or coming home after midnight in all weathers after a night game. She is over £500 down due to recent postponements. She emailed the club on Monday to ask what the club intended to do only to be met by silence. In the meantime Brighton , Palace and even Liverpool and United have announced that they will continue to pay matchday staff during the suspension! It’s extremely poor from City though I fully expect the players and execs will continue to be paid millions? To make it worse she is a huge City fan and prior to her working there we were seasoncard holders for over 15 years!
From Acas.
http://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus/if-the-employer-needs-to-close-the-workplace

In some situations, an employer might need to close down their business for a short time, or ask staff to reduce their contracted hours.

If the employer thinks they'll need to do this, it's important to talk with staff as early as possible and throughout the closure.

Unless it says in the contract or is agreed otherwise, they still need to pay their employees for this time.

Quite a few clubs are paying staff members regardless of circumstances right now. We should be doing the same thing.

To much discussion about rags and the media on here. Doesn’t matter. The club should be doing something right now
Can someone please clarify for me the definiion of payment for CASUAL employees?
My thoughts are that casual employees get paid WHEN THEY ACTUALLY WORK not when they MIGHT WORK
After I retired here in NZ I worked casually at the local motor repair outfit - I got paid for the hours that I worked plus a holiday pay allowance .
What are the definitions in the UK?

Worrying state of affairs when there are several pages of chat about City paying casual staff and not one mention of Ben Mendy.

I hope City get it sorted. We need some strong leadership from the guys getting paid the big bucks. It's hard to make decisions in uncertain times but now these kinds of questions need answers more than ever

I think that you're being far too lenient on the club here mate.

The club has the financial capacity to pay the salaries of temps and matchday staff. It can also waive a final £65 direct debit fee.
So say the club pays up now and the season resumes in June or July with full crowds. Do the casual staff get paid again or expected to work for nowt as they were paid in advance?

So say the club pays up now and the season resumes in June or July with full crowds. Do the casual staff get paid again or expected to work for nowt as they were paid in advance?

great point

the mess is just being brushed under the carpet ? you can not keep saying june or july them targets are never going to be reached its long term this virus outbreak
the government have only now put in place a plan and to help but that is going to be 2 weeks at best from monday to sort out everybody wanting to claim and even then its open to crashing the system site with the amount of volume claiming

its a mess

This has a got a bit messy now with a few football social media pages picking up on it... then the usual city are scum, small club, rich citehs and all that going round.

I totally understand the point of do city pay twice if they pay now and the games go ahead?... it would be small change in the grand scheme but the principal both ways is there.

plus a lot of talk of who employs city casual staff? F3, Hays? If agency then city don’t hold much responsibility if they cancel the contract imo.

My wife works for City on matchdays. She is employed directly by MCFC and her wage slips are from City. She hasn’t missed working a game in over 3 years often going in ill or getting up at 4.30am for a 12.30 ko or coming home after midnight in all weathers after a night game. She is over £500 down due to recent postponements. She emailed the club on Monday to ask what the club intended to do only to be met by silence. In the meantime Brighton , Palace and even Liverpool and United have announced that they will continue to pay matchday staff during the suspension! It’s extremely poor from City though I fully expect the players and execs will continue to be paid millions? To make it worse she is a huge City fan and prior to her working there we were seasoncard holders for over 15 years!
Knowing City as I do, they aren't great at communication, which is a conversation we've had with them on a number of occasions. The other thing is that they like everything neatly lined up before they'll commit to something. I design & deliver IT systems so I know that you'll never go live with a system that's 100% perfect. You'll deliver something that offers your users and customers some value and then deal with the rest later.

In this situation, I'd imagine that City would commit to paying their directly employed casual staff and maybe some that are indirectly employed but rely exclusively or mostly on City for their income. but what happens when matches re-start - do we pay them again or not?

The question of what to do about other third-party staff is more complex. The people who man the catering outlets might be relatively simple but do we pay them or the company they work for and, if the latter, how do we guarantee they'll get the money? What about the companies that supply the pre-made tea, coffee, hot chocolate and other drinks that theu just add water to for serving? Those companies may lay off staff as demand goes down. Do we have a responsibility to them and how does it fit in with what the government will be doing?

But the very least they should be doing is writing to their directly employed staff and saying that they'll pay them, while they're working out what to do about others. They shouldn't be waiting until they've got all their ducks lined up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.