Self-employed & Coronavirus

Ric

Administrator
Decided to start a separate thread about this, as it affects many on here. The government announcements on subsidising wages yesterday were a welcome measure, and will no doubt have given much needed reassurance to many.

The self-employed (and renters) have been hung out to dry somewhat though. Someone on PAYE earning, say, £30k pa will now get £22.5k subsidised earnings but a freelancer or someone self-employed who was earning £30k is now only entitled to less than £5k pa through Universal Credit. Surely that’s not fair.

The government should include the self employed in the scheme but in their point of view the cash could only stretch so far.

Last edited:
If anyone is a limited company contractor I am happy to offer free advice or support in finding a new client.

Just PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think they could have taken the last years earnings or even the last few months earnings and made a rough guess about what 80% would roughly look like and paid them that.

Apparently 5 million people are classed as self-employed which is a good chunk of the working population, so a lot of people are affected by this.

They seem to have reacted to any public outcry in the last few days, so hopefully they will see sense with this one as well.

The government should include the self employed in the scheme but in their point of view the cash could only stretch so far.

If it’s down to lack of money which I don’t believe for a second then they should have set the 80% less and help put the self employed more. It’s sheer stupidity they will give someone 25k for sitting at home whilst others suffer.

Think they could have taken the last years earnings or even the last few months earnings and made a rough guess about what 80% would roughly look like and paid them that.

Apparently 5 million people are classed as self-employed which is a good chunk of the working population, so a lot of people are affected by this.

They seem to have reacted to any public outcry in the last few days, so hopefully they will see sense with this one as well.
Does seem like they’re making policies on the hoof, so hopefully they’ll do the same here. I appreciate its a tough time for the government and policies have to be rushed through without due consideration. They surely have to right this wrong though.

Obviously the cash can only stretch so far, but surely it should cover the whole workforce. You can’t leave 15% out to dry.

I totally get your and the whole 15% self employed point of view (and totally agree that you should be compensated as well) but they have got to find the cash from somewhere and feel that is probably too much of a risk to cover all.

I totally get your and the whole 15% point of view (and totally agree that you should be compensated) but they have got to find the cash from somewhere and feel that is probably too much of a risk to cover it
Can’t do the maths, obviously, but presumably they could’ve found a way to cover all workers, not prioritise some over others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.