Reasonably priced laptop

Over here in the U.S there's various offbrands, one being "Overpowered" that offer some crazy specs, gaming-wise, for a very affordable price. They're decently reviewed as well. I've been looking around to see if there was a similar budget gaming brand over in the UK for you guys. I've never heard of the brand "Medion" but wondered if any of you over there had. The linked laptop is at the top of your budget, but seems like a good deal with a dedicated card for gaming, great storage and a physical drive (if you need that). Anyone have any experience with this brand?

https://www.box.co.uk/30025003-Medion-Akoya-P6685_2431522.html
Specs-wise, I think that's better than the one I posted. I don't know the brand, but I've seen it on a few websites. I think it's a budget brand.

Having a second look, it looks like they've scrimped a bit on the screen, which isn't full HD. That's often where budget brands make a saving.

I've heard that if you have an SSD, then the amount of RAM you need becomes less important. That's why there's no difference in RAM now than there was when I last bought a computer about 5 years ago. When I was a kid, it would double every few years.

If you don’t have enough RAM, the hdd won’t make that much difference. 8gb plus and SSD should be the minimum nowadays. 4gb and it doesn’t matter what your hdd is, it’ll struggle to do much more than basic browsing and a few apps.

At that budget look at end of line mechanical i5s or and equivalents with 8gb ram for £450 buy yourself a 512gb ssd for £40 and a sata caddy for £5.

Probably no help at all to the op but i have a Huwaei medis pro tablet and it pisses all over any laptop/pc i've ever had. Connects to everything instantly, runs anything, lightning fast and never misses a beat.

Trying to replace my HP Pavilion x360 which is falling apart. Everywhere seems out of stock for reasonably priced upgrades and equivalents - be grateful for info on any current deals on similar spec machines.

Last edited:
Over here in the U.S there's various offbrands, one being "Overpowered" that offer some crazy specs, gaming-wise, for a very affordable price. They're decently reviewed as well. I've been looking around to see if there was a similar budget gaming brand over in the UK for you guys. I've never heard of the brand "Medion" but wondered if any of you over there had. The linked laptop is at the top of your budget, but seems like a good deal with a dedicated card for gaming, great storage and a physical drive (if you need that). Anyone have any experience with this brand?

https://www.box.co.uk/30025003-Medion-Akoya-P6685_2431522.html
medion are sold by Aldi, have full warranty and support, been around for many years. Based in Germany, make cameras and pc's in fact most consumer electronics.

Looking for a new Laptop. Needed mainly for work, and internet browsing . And lesser extent videos and DVD

Work uses programmes that require a good deal of RAM so I need the system to work quickly and not take an age to start up Windows as well as the programmes I use (my current laptop takes at least 3 times longer than the PC I occasionally use at work). I would not be carrying it around much. 15 inch screen. Windows. Not interested in using it as a tablet, and am not a 'gamer'

Have bought Dell PC's in the past, but want to change brand, thinking Lenovo is good value ?

I understand I should be looking for at least 16GB RAM considering my current 2014 laptop has 8GB. Speed of use is key. Should I look at 64GB RAM ? Or is 32GB enough?

Don't know much about Hard Drive vs SSD so any tips appreciated.

Reliability is key too - Dell has served me quite well in the past, but I want a change.

Good keyboard, battery life and screen quality are important also. Not looking at spending more than £600-700

I understand I should be looking for at least 16GB RAM considering my current 2014 laptop has 8GB. Speed of use is key. Should I look at 64GB RAM ? Or is 32GB enough?

16gb of RAM in an office and general use PC is overkill unless you are doing any kind of rendering or high end game play, if you are using a laptop for just browsing and watching movies then 8gb is more than enough.

Mechanical hard drives versus SSD's? That for me is where your boot times will be faster and by that I mean a LOT faster. Invest in a good speed solid state drive (Samsung Evo brand is cheap now) you'll be booting your OS up to 10 times faster, after killing all the start programs with the "msconfig" command line.

If you are going to buy a new one and you just want a change then make sure it has 8gb of DDR4 ram and an SSD, but if I were you i'd just upgrade your hard drive to SSD.

16gb of RAM in an office and general use PC is overkill unless you are doing any kind of rendering or high end game play, if you are using a laptop for just browsing and watching movies then 8gb is more than enough.

Mechanical hard drives versus SSD's? That for me is where your boot times will be faster and by that I mean a LOT faster. Invest in a good speed solid state drive (Samsung Evo brand is cheap now) you'll be booting your OS up to 10 times faster, after killing all the start programs with the "msconfig" command line.

If you are going to buy a new one and you just want a change then make sure it has 8gb of DDR4 ram and an SSD, but if I were you i'd just upgrade your hard drive to SSD.

Thanks, much appreciated

I definitely need a new one as circumstances have changed at home, so we need the additional laptop now

Looking for a new Laptop. Needed mainly for work, and internet browsing . And lesser extent videos and DVD

Work uses programmes that require a good deal of RAM so I need the system to work quickly and not take an age to start up Windows as well as the programmes I use (my current laptop takes at least 3 times longer than the PC I occasionally use at work). I would not be carrying it around much. 15 inch screen. Windows. Not interested in using it as a tablet, and am not a 'gamer'

Have bought Dell PC's in the past, but want to change brand, thinking Lenovo is good value ?

Reliability is key too - Dell has served me quite well in the past, but I want a change.

Good keyboard, battery life and screen quality are important also. Not looking at spending more than £600-700
An SSD should mean your start up time is about 30 seconds maximum so well worth the money if you can afford it. I got an ASUS Transformer something or other about 5 years ago, it's been pretty good, the only issue being the trackpad was useless but I always use a mouse anyway, and startup is still mega fast.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.