“The work of God”?

The reactions to the prophets show that recipients were largely hostile and anything but submissive to the message. You could make a case for David (as) or Solomon(as) as they had authority as well so the people had a duty to listen and obey, but how did Jesus(as) went about scaring people (rabbis,scribes,pharisees) into submission ?

Does enlightenment mean we become super skeptical of all the historical records and deny even the existence of the founder of a major religion ?

Mate I have no penchant to offend as you appear of a pleasant disposition but your creator is in need of a swift kick in his/her/it's bollocks/flaps to bring it to it's senses. If indeed it does exist then without reservation it has to be one poorly mo-fo with requirement to learn the basics of humility compassion and love. Poll pot or Adolf Hitler could not begin to shed light on your deity in it's ways of abject cruelty. Barbary most foul came the cry and it should therefore placed under immediate house arrest then brought back down to Earth and placed on trial. Maybe genocide would be a good starting block. How does your God plead to these charges?

Last edited:
Homo sapiens are just animals with some intelligence (we aren’t as intelligent as we like to think we are, however!) and there’s nothing else remarkable about us.

There are animals out there that are stronger, faster, longer living, can live underwater, can fly, can change colour and shape, use sonar, can change sex, can change into a different animal, and that have been around for a lot longer than we have... we are no more special than any of them.

This virus is another example (of so many) showing that we are no different to a pig or a bat; we contract the same viruses as them, off them and can give it them back.

We are just an organism that is living off planet Earth, just like any other... being born, living, dying and rotting in the ground, just like everything else that has ever or will ever live on this planet until the planet or our star (which is really what religions, or mythology as religions should be called, are all about. Not gods or prophets or angels, the Sun!) dies.

There’s no spaghetti armed jelly man hiding behind the Moon playing ‘Humans’ on his PlayStaion 5 dictating what happens to us. This virus is the work of a lack of intelligence in Homo sapiens (see we’re not as intelligent as we like to think we are!) and is not the work of any outside entity, certainly not this made-up god.

Those dangers and obstacles are what helps us to fully utilize our potentials and capabilities. Life on earth is a test, and God wants us to earn His kingdom rather than being gifted to us. It's our innate nature to appreciate hardwork, toil and struggle than "winning the lottery".

No idea. Maybe humans are not capable of taming dinosaurs.

Things that are precious are not found everywhere. We have to dig deep to find the treasure. Prophethood is not for everyone. Imagine telling to your family and friends that you receive revelation from God and you should be listened to, and that disobeying you is tantamount to disobeying God Himself. Not just once, day after day after day to the same audience (who will turn hostile in a few days) explaining matters of the Unseen, this is not an average person's cup of tea. It's not just a couple of people in the desert. Prophets have been sent to all nations as per Qur'an, but like in the case of Noah(as), most people didn't accept them.

They'll be judged on their own sense of right and wrong. Qur'an 17:15 "We never punish until we have sent a messenger."

They can make their case on Judgement Day.

Prophet's come to tell us about God and our relationship with Him and our responsibilities. Knowledge of science changes with time, unlike the metaphysical truths.

Scriptures talk about them as signs of the Creator. The objective is not to illustrate and detail a scientific fact.

Perhaps this verse points to the origin of universe and origin of life.
Qur'an 21:30 "Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We parted them And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?"

There are other linguistic nuances that interests me like for example whenever sun light is mentioned, the word used is "siraj" or "diya" meaning a source of light and whenever moonlight is mentioned it is always "nur" or "muneer" meaning simply light or reflected light.

Well, he also gave us the institution of marriage to cater to that, along with rules of dressing and modesty and guarding the gaze. The prophet taught that we get blessings for the intimate acts between the spouses.

Feeding the poor is a responsibility of the rich countries. The obligatory charity is specifically for this purpose.

Why not? God breathed His spirit into us and gave us intellect, free will and divine guidance. We don't have to act like the primates.

Well, existence is better than non-existence.

Humans don't value or appreciate something until they know what it is like to lose it.

1. It is supposed to be violent and disgusting, the very thought of it works as deterrent for most people. India hanged 4 rapists a few days back. America hanged Saddam. The British did it. I find hanging as equally violent and disgusting like beheading.
2. To show the severity of the crime.
3. The person gets absolved of the sin and won't get punished in the Hereafter.

Have you heard of the conquest of Mecca, when not a drop of blood was shed and the opposition surrendered without a fight. The "war lord" and his followers could have taken full revenge on their enemies for 15 years of oppression and driving them out from their homes to Medina. Instead, the prophet forgave them all and asked the followers to do the same. Many accepted the faith and they were welcomed wholeheartedly. That is the height of forgiveness. But, now this is the 'parting of the sea' moment and the take over of the Temple signalled the proofs of prophethood have been established. There is no more questioning after this and God's judgement will be meted out. It's the same what happened to the Israelites who worshipped the golden calf in Moses'(as) absence. They've no excuses after witnessing the sea parting moment.

Do you know the prophet first married at the age of 25, a twice divorced women who was 15 years older to him? They lived together for 25 years, and he did not marry anyone during the time. He married many after that, some for social and political reasons too. The society didn't have issues with age differences at the time. Puberty was considered the minimum age of marriage consummation. Until the 19th century, this was the same throughout the world.

They've also given meaning and hope to the lives of millions of others and continue to do so.

I’ve been offended maybe once, at a push twice, in my time on bluemoon, not sure where this sits...

I’ve been offended maybe once, at a push twice, in my time on bluemoon, not sure where this sits...
I particularly liked this bit; “They'll be judged on their own sense of right and wrong. Qur'an 17:15 "We never punish until we have sent a messenger."”

We need to learn the language, culture and history of the times these books were written to understand the "absurdities".
If as these sites proclaim they are full of contradictions, then every believer would be leading a confused life. The key difference I find is the skeptics take up verses from here and there and match against each other, whereas the students of these books take all of the verses on a subject as a whole and build an understanding, with the verses that are specific limiting the scope of the verses that are generic. As the saying goes, the best exegesis of the scripture is the scripture itself.
I think you’ve done yourself in there.

‘understand absurdities’ - yes, and realise that they didn’t know much about the inner workings of science and it’s ongoing quest to learn rather than stick with dogma., so explained lots of things in any form they could. Also being led by a charismatic charlatan, who has unswerving acolytes, is happening still, you only have to look around the world to see ... Trump being the obvious, people can be swayed by anything they choose to cling to.
You say learn from the past...

‘Proclaim contradictions’ - they lay it out quite simply, one column with quotes saying one thing , another column with quotes saying the complete opposite.
the contradictions are at a pretty simple level, along the lines of:
‘Does god love everyone?’

From your reply, You clearly haven’t enlightened yourself by reading anything on the website and stuck with the dogma you believe.

heyho.

Qur'an 21:30 "Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We parted them And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?"
So the entire universe and a small insignificant little blueish planet in some very nondescript galaxy were the same thing, until approx 6000 years ago allah seperated them.
ok...

It always strikes me as very odd that any god(s) are proclaimed to have invested so much time and effort into this insignificant blue dot and it's strange collection of bipedal humanoids.

As I'm now on a PC:
Contradications: https://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/contra/by_name.html
Simple contradiction on alcohol: https://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/contra/alcohol.html

Now I will give you that the koran has far less total issues than the bible. But that's to be expected by your own reasoning, that we evolve to understand more, and not get hemmed in by dogma.

I saw a program the other day saying what could of been responsible, wet markets,wet markets are markets in china where they slaughter the animal at the market,they keep these live animals in cages stacked up on each other,when it comes to the animals below they are soaked in piss , shit and Christ knows what else,these animals are then slaughtered at the market then consumed by the human,hardly surprising shits hit the fan,as for GOD ,don't be fucking silly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.