Worst bands or solo artist you have seen live

You’ve got me thinking there, and I’ve been looking it up, and I can’t find any record of that. There was a festival in 83 Werchter or PinkPop when they were both on the same bill, at a festival with Peter Gabriel, Eurtythmics and a few others, but I can’t find any record of them supporting U2 on War tour or any other. Maybe it was at another summer 83 festival.
It piqued my interest mainly tbh cos I’m a big Simple Minds fan but a bit lukewarm on U2, and back in the 80s for a while they were seen as bands on a par with each other.
The Alarm, Big Country are showing as support on that War tour, but not SM.
Was interesting to research anyway.
The Alarm & Big country we’re great live .

Dylan at London O2 in 2009. Didn't speak. Didn't even face the audience. Deliberately mangled all his songs. But still glad I went!

Clapton at ABC cinema in 1976. Crap. Drunk. Insulted the audience and couldn't play guitar - deferred to 2nd guitarist. Opening act was Mr Pugh's Puppet Theatre!

Chuck Berry Paignton Festival Theatre 1976. Crap. Played about 20 minutes then introduced his daughter to sing the rest.

They remain 3 of my musical heroes...

Saw Dylan at the NEC in 1987. Really disappointed. He was shite & didn't seem at all interested. Didn't say a word to the audience, not even a good evening or goodnight & his vocals were awful. However.........Roger McGuinn opened & he was great, plus Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers then did a set & backed Dylan and they were absolutely brilliant. Mr Zimmerman is still one of my heroes too, despite that.
Another big disappointment was Van Morrison. Saw him at Glasgow Green in 1993 and I think he must have been having one of his famous sulks at the time. Probably because Runrig were headlining instead of him. He was crap. The Pogues were also on the bill and they were good fun, of course.

Just like someone posted earlier about New Order, they were either amazing, or frustratingly shite. I think the latter got more common late on. I saw ‘em more times than I can remember, but last time was Atlanta in 2003. They were notorious for having iffy support bands and several of the worst bands I’ve seen were from that slot. Can’t remember most of their names, but one that does stick in the mind as laughably bad was a ‘baggy’ band around 1989 called The Sandmen.

More recently, I went to see Fontaines DC with high hopes, but thought they were absolutely abysmal.

Only saw them the one time, around 86/87 at Sheff Poly. It was just inaudible torture to the ears. Left half way through and went to the pub

You’ve got me thinking there, and I’ve been looking it up, and I can’t find any record of that. There was a festival in 83 Werchter or PinkPop when they were both on the same bill, at a festival with Peter Gabriel, Eurtythmics and a few others, but I can’t find any record of them supporting U2 on War tour or any other. Maybe it was at another summer 83 festival.
It piqued my interest mainly tbh cos I’m a big Simple Minds fan but a bit lukewarm on U2, and back in the 80s for a while they were seen as bands on a par with each other.
The Alarm, Big Country are showing as support on that War tour, but not SM.
Was interesting to research anyway.

Also a big Simple minds fan they have never supported u2 early 80's till now. maybe at a festival.

This one looked a cracker of a line up

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/0802/982704-phoenix-park-festival/

Seen hundreds of gigs, and worked at many that I'd not have paid to go to but been impressed by artists and performances along the way.

Worst paid for gig, Stevie Nicks 1989 at the NEC - probably not her fault but the sound was terrible, inaudible at times, only stuck it out in the hope it would improve, but she only played 13 songs for just over an hour.

Worst gig worked at, Metallica 1992 NEC - again sound was an issue, it was so loud and the mix so bad it was terrible, and to cap it off, when photographing a gig you tend to shoot the first three songs, then leave or watch the rest of the show if you wish, Metallica had the idea that you shoot the last three songs, and have to put up with the whole show.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.