COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well every Villa fan I met seemed to be suffering from a very nasty virus.....or were they just plain nasty? Sorry I couldn't resist.

I remember being slightly worried as I flew there and back and of course mingling in the pubs and at the game. Things didn't seem as serious then and everyone was going about life as normal so it seemed a reasonable risk to take. I was in the middle seat coming back and the girl in the window seat was asleep all the time with a blanket over her. It wasn't until we were getting off I realised she appeared t o have a cold so that did worry me a little. London was full of tourists and travellers so I doubt our final made a big impact but possibly some fans had the virus.
They weren't very gracious in defeat,i was talking to some in dominos after the game and even though i was saying you played really well and it was a tight win for us they were angry and bitter,did they really expect to beat us

The gov have shared their vulnerable group with supermarkets and they will be getting shopping delivered

I am really proud of our country,from the staff keeping us alive to the people in a street singing happy birthday to a kid and old chap hanging out of their windows
That's just "extremely vulnerable" surely. My sister is in her 80s, nearly bent double with a spinal disease, but is not in the list. Sainsburys would deliver but she can't get through and their website says to register on gov.uk which is only for the extremely vulnerable.

She has relatives who can drop stuff off but others may not be so lucky.

And what's the regime for living in a household with someone who's over 70? It's not easy finding the right guidance online.
Let the over 70s shop during their "hour" or send the younger person to queue up with others with a higher risk of bringing the virus back?

I agree, it’s only a short-term pattern, which is why (as ever) I chose my words carefully, but there are some (relatively speaking) positive signs.

I’d be staggered if Chris Whitty called it significantly wrong. He’s words should be taken at face value imo.
Totally agree.
You only see the effect of Government measures between 7 and 11 days after introducing them. That's due to the incubation period of the virus and how long the measures effect (serious) new cases.
On deaths you are going back even further because it takes people on average 3 weeks to die from first symptoms.
Both (serious) new cases and deaths are pipeline processes with the (serious) new cases pipeline feeding into the deaths pipeline.
Aa such the current death rate of around 26% day on day increase is the effect of what the government were doing about a month ago.
The real horrific thing about this is you need to flatten the serious new cases curve whilst getting the virus to spread sufficiently to give you some herd immunity so come autumn the virus doesnt come back to hit you hard like Spanish Flu did.
Success or failure will be clear with a retrospectascope this time next year.

Last edited:
Scientifically / medically, which is the best option: pairs or alone? If one is less likely to spread the virus, no matter how infinitesimally, then that is the option we all should take. Without exception.
I would agree. But which, medically or scientifically, is the best option?
And, between the two of us, we have degrees in maths, physics and chemistry and we can’t say which is the best, it would need a virologist to explain it to me, not some randomer (not you) on Bluemoon.

We did go as early as possible to avoid others, but our local shops have stopped that by shortening opening hours, which I think closes the window of escape somewhat. I’ve said not to bother going at all but my wife still wants fresh fruit and veg. We tried to order on line but they’ aren’t accepting orders. We haven’t been out shopping since last Thursday and will probably venture out on Monday morning. If they did online shopping we wouldn’t have to go at all.

I also have two daughters and their husbands live within a mile. If any one of us is at the shop we text the others to see if there is anything they desperately need so we can pick it up for them, again avoiding unnecessary trips. I was in Asda last week and they had some toilet rolls and I knew my daughter was running out so we bought her a pack and got her some chicken as they had none when she went the night before on her way home form her ‘key worker’ job. In fact every time she goes there’s nothing there for her.

We have milk, eggs and orange delivered by our local milkman. Meat is delivered by the butcher who lives across the road.
The only time we go out is to walk the hills, this morning we met no one on a 9km walk.
I’m awaiting a delivery of seeds and dug up a space in the garden for a vegetable plot, and our son in law is looking at setting up a chicken coop here.
Apart from changing the five loaves and two fishes i’m not sure what much else we could do to avoid the spread of the virus.

Which one are you?:
87e6h6dfelbwefbh.jpg
how dare you! gordon wouldn't stoop so low,far more Rumpole of the Bailey

You're confusing correlation with causation I think. Actually, no, you just are. You cannot possibly be suggesting that us allowing un-monitored, completely uncontrolled incoming flights from infected areas (as we have done) and allowing mass events such as Cheltenham and rugby and what-have-you, and not shutting down cafes and restaurants until the last possible moment, are the reasons our *current* mortality figures are lower than those of other countries.

The (lack of) measures we've been taking and the (late) timing of them, have absolutely fuck all to do with us being in better shape than Italy or Spain.

so why is it then

That's just "extremely vulnerable" surely. My sister is in her 80s, nearly bent double with a spinal disease, but is not in the list. Sainsburys would deliver but she can't get through and their website says to register on gov.uk which is only for the extremely vulnerable.

She has relatives who can drop stuff off but others may not be so lucky.

And what's the regime for living in a household with someone who's over 70? It's not easy finding the right guidance online.
Let the over 70s shop during their "hour" or send the younger person to queue up with others with a higher risk of bringing the virus back?
It seems to be the stay inside for 12 weeks people,i am sorry to hear your sister is not on it,it is worth calling your local supermarket and see if they can help,they can only say no
As for the other question,i am not sure there is a right answer,on the one hand if the 70 is really fit as a lot are these days as 70 is not really old anymore then i think they go out and be careful,i think that is better than the younger person going out and joining the scrum which is more likely to bring it back
Shops seem to have sorted out keeping people apart better now which will benefit everyonr

Out doing my job driving for the NHS round Rochdale, two cars racing one came the wrong side of a traffic island and hit the car in front of me saving me from a nasty accident. Not very nice for the lady driving the car in front that got hit. Just as I am sat writing this two more cars race by. Think the idiots are using the quieter roads as a race track. Think it's time for the police to follow North Yorkshire with check points.

Quite a few dirt and quad bike wankers out around here last night as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.