Self-employed & Coronavirus

Thanks mate, but that is the crux for me.

I can still earn more scratching a living than from taking 80 per cent of a very basic salary for the next three months.

If all I did was admin and stuff, my business would cease to exist within a fortnight.

My business does not exist without me. It is my intellectual property and skills which sustains it.

I do not trade in goods as such.
I can literally scrape by on 80% of salary. Ive never taken dividends so that wont affect me.

80% will literally cover my outgoings with some trimming here n there But i can deal with that.

Then you should know its the customers who push this way of paying. Yet the advice your profession has given ltd company directors has left us in the sh#t.
I'm not blaming your profession, just highlighting the irony of an accountant giving a high tax payer advice on cash.

The point I'm making is that responsibility for compliance with the law lies with the business that is making the sale and not the private individual that is purchasing.

I don't work in the profession. By force of circumstance rather than choice, I work as a contractor through my own limited company. I run and consult on the running of finance functions within businesses. I use a firm of accountants to handle my tax. The advice accountants have given the self-employed was good advice, the fact that it's not optimal when it comes to get govt support during the Covid crisis is not something they could have foreseen so you would be right not to blame the accounting profession.

Here is a hypothetical....what if you ignored the plea from the government and did not take up their 80 per cent furloughed employee status?

In respect of a small Ltd company sacking their employee (spouse) and having to hand her a severance package as a result.
Does statutory redundancy cover a spouse in such circumstances?

(Haven’t checked but suspect not.)

We are forced out of business and had to close the cafe. We are in a tenure with a large organisation. I emailed this organisation to ask where we stand as regards paying the rent for the premises. I requested an email back to keep for future record. I received a phone call this morning from one of the top business managers claiming he didn't understand the email and we still have to pay the rent throughout. Told him that I didn't think it appropriate for a phone call as the email I sent was very clear. I told him to put in writing what he said and send by email as previously requested. I'm not sure if will make any difference but here's hoping.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.