COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can remember a few weeks ago chatting to a mate about this and all I was getting was "Its just like Flu" it will be gone in a few weeks, them weeks pass by and over 9000 people have died in Italy and many thousands more across the world, I doubt any of us on this Forum will ever live through something of this scale again, it's nothing like the Flu this Virus can spread rapidly in massive numbers its truly frightening. Got to give massive credit to the NHS on the front line especially when a lot of them haven't even got access to the correct PPE!! My daughters Mum (My Ex) is on the front line and it sounds like a bad dream to put it lightly. It's exhausting just keeping up with the news at the moment and without the NHS, shop workers, delivery drivers, etc etc it would be unmanageable so a lot of praise for these people because without them we'd be fucked.

Ireland has been placed under similar lockdown measures to the ones imposed in the UK following three more coronavirus-related deaths.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said residents should stay home until at least 12 April unless they were buying groceries, getting brief exercise or making essential family visits.

Almost all shops will be told to close and all gathering outside of families will be banned.

Public transport will be available only to essential workers and nobody should travel beyond 2km (1.2 miles) from their homes for any reason, he added

Those over the age of 70 or with chronic diseases will be told to stay in their homes without exception over the period, which begins at midnight

Mr Varadkar said: "I'm appealing to every man, woman and child to make these sacrifices for the love of each other.

"Show that you care for your family and friends: Stay home

He added that there was little more the government could do in terms of restrictions.

The restrictions come after three more deaths thought to be as a result of COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by coronavirus. One of the victims was a healthcare worker.

According to data compiled by US university Johns Hopkins, there are 2,121 coronavirus cases in Ireland, with 22 deaths recorded
Is it the same sort of "Lockdown" that still expects builders and that to carry on working?

that’s what I thought? So can only go out once to get food or exercise and can’t see anyone and need to stay two metres from everyone, been doing that fine, but apparently there is another level?
All non essential i.e. health care, food production and distribution workers to remain at home until Easter here in Ireland. No outdoor gatherings of any number of people. Exercise within a 2km of your home once a day observing the 2m rule.
Cocooning of over 70’s or those younger with medical conditions.
Basically stay in your house except for a list of prescribed exceptions.

Varadkar has consistently said he wouldn’t use the term lockdown because it means different things to different people and in different jurisdictions, but essentially that is where we are.
Don’t travel and confine the virus to individual households to help the health service cope with the expected demand for ICU beds.

Is that to be sure, to be sure?
I’d laugh but it’s not funny.
It’s basically telling us our hospitals could go the same way Italy has if the critical unit admittances increase exponentially the way they have in the last week.
We started off as the worst in Europe for ICU beds per capita, I think you’re second worst by the way. So what we do collectively now is life saving.
You can’t just police this either. It takes compliance and buying into what you are doing.
It’s everyone’s problem. Everyone has to act like they have it.

If second hand will do, my nursing lecturer friend (who's going to back on wards or perhaps teaching how to intubate patients) thinks it's more to do with general fitness. So despite several "underlying conditions", I can still run short sprints with no problem. They are underlying conditions (some probably typical for a man of my age) but not usually an issue, but I'm obviously more vulnerable than some.

He reckons there are 70 ICU beds in Manchester and they estimate they will need 500.
How would that fit with ‘patient 1’ in northern Italy, you know, the marathon runner who was an amateur footballer who was in ICU for five weeks?

Why isn't the UK govt imposing stricter lockdown measures?

All across Europe epidemics are beginning to peak and the only significant measure that's driving that is isolation.

So why wouldn't you just tighten the lockdown?

What happens if you flatten the curve too much? It's tail gets larger and you end with disruption dragging on and on.

Does this sound valid? I don't know how much of the working population is doing BAU but a significant proportion is and according to the models I have seen this seriously undermines their effectiveness.

See this for example

Great vid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.