COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Italian deaths are awful, but it's a week since there is no rise in new daily cases. They plateaued, I guess.

Italian deaths are awful, but it's a week since there is no rise in new daily cases. They plateaued, I guess.
Need it to start falling to encourage people. I wonder if the epidemic is moving from the North to the South in Italy. We've heard a lot about Lombardy but not so much about Naples and Rome.

In China it was one City. Europe maybe a little different if each country has cities or regions which are at different stages. I think we're like that with London, and heard similar for New York. They'll get their peak cases before areas like Florida

Need it to start falling to encourage people. I wonder if the epidemic is moving from the North to the South in Italy. We've heard a lot about Lombardy but not so much about Naples and Rome.

In China it was one City. Europe maybe a little different if each country has cities or regions which are at different stages. I think we're like that with London, and heard similar for New York. They'll get their peak cases before areas like Florida

yeah, new hotspots would be very bad.

EU rightfully getting a kicking from the Italian PM - rabbit in the headlights when it was their time to show leadership and implement a continent wide unified policy.

Lorenzo Tondo

Here’s some more information from my colleague Lorenzo Tondo in Italy, on the announcement that the Italian death toll has now passed 10,000:

The number of deaths from coronavirus in Italy has passed 10,000 while the number of total cases is now over 90,000.

On Saturday, Italy announced 889 new deaths from Covid-19, as total fatalities leapt to 10,023. Another 5,974 have tested positive with coronavirus, 470 less than Friday.

Some 70,065 people across the country are currently infected with Covid-19.

The total number of contagions in Italy, including the deceased and those who have recovered, is 92,472.

Yesterday, the country recorded its highest daily rise in Covid-19 deaths, with 969 new fatalities.

On 31 March, flags will be flown at half-mast in cities across Italy to commemorate the victims of the pandemic.

Italy’s prime minister, Giuseppe Conte, warned on Saturday that the EU could lose its purpose if it failed to come up with a strong response to the coronavirus threat and accused other member states of a timid response to an unprecedented economic shock.

“If Europe does not rise to this unprecedented challenge, the whole European structure loses its raison d’être to the people,” Conte told the Il Sole 24 Ore financial newspaper.

“We are at a critical point in European history,” Conte added, “I represent a country that is suffering a lot and I cannot afford to procrastinate.”

The national government is said to be considering plans to extend a country-wide lockdown to mid-April.

The Higher Health Institute (ISS) said that the peak of the coronavirus epidemic in Italy was approaching.

“We have seen an apparent reduction in the infection curve since 20 March but we are not yet in a downward phase,” said ISS president Silvio Brusaferro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.