Most underrated player to play for city

Darius Vassell.. Didn't score many for us but always came across as a trier which went down well with me..

Tony Henry, stylish player who struggled to get into the first team back in the day but was pretty decent..

Steve Kinsey, another hard worker, remember him scoring the winner at Blackburn, great times..

Kazimir Deyna, joined us, towards the end of his career. He was a true superstar back then, remember his goal away at Leeds, left us far too soon as did Tommy Caton who found his way into our team as a young teenager..

I'm sure he's already been mentioned and he wasn't with us long but Tommy Hutchison was a fantastic player for us.

A player who most certainly was overlooked by all the big teams back in the day so by definition was a very underrated player.

Seems like a lifetime ago watching these players who all contributed to giving me some unforgettable memories..!

A couple of memories from when I was young regarding Tony, the first one was one of those weird ones that just stuck with me and it was simply this, mid-late 70's, midweek evening game , horrendous weather, torrential rain and blowing an absolute gale.
I was stood at the front of the Kippax near the half way line, think Tony was playing right back or right midfield, someone from the other side of the pitch fired a long ball over to him, ball around waist height, I had a perfect view of the flight and speed, and it was all over the place, like one of those cheap ass plastic balls you used to get, and I remember thinking, FFS no way is he going to control that, it's going to skim off his knee or something and fly off into the crowd, but Tony just killed it dead and didn't even break stride, funny how that's always stayed with me !

Second was another midweek game, possibly Leicester, winning 2-0, they came back to lead 2-3 and on came Tony, equalizing at the Platt lane end hammering the ball from close range into the roof of the net in the dying seconds, I remember thinking, if there hadn't been a net, it would have ended up at Nell Lane.

Good solid player Tony who never let us down.

Gordon Smith.
Never taken to by fans because he missed a sitter in the last min of the cup final for Brighton v the rags.
Stylish and skillful player who in the promotion season of 84/85 was top scorer. Not bad for a midfielder.

I just thought he was shit mate, not as shit as Gordon Dalziel (who was probably the worst and most uninspiring player I've ever seen for us), but still shit.

Jim Tolmie, loved watching this scruffy , alcoholic dude.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.