Most Overrated Player to Play for City

Nigel de Jong was an excellent CDM. Not in Fernandinho's class but very few are.

Robinho is the answer to the OPs question. A youtube highlights player.

Going back many years, I was very excited to hear that Alfons Groenendijk (sp) could open a can of peas with his left foot. Just a shame he couldn't play football.
He was average as a player, but a great character who loved the club and will always be well thought of.

Georgie Kinkladze, SHOULD have been a world star with his talents, as good as Maradona but was in a team that suffered 2 consecutive relegations and apart from a couple of highlight moments went MIA.

We went down cause we had cross eyed goalkeeper and a free transfer from Exeter who was right footed playing left back , Kinkladze nearly kept us on his own second season he would have kept us up if Royle hadn’t dropped for 6 games , granted he was awful at Port Vale but Royle played him left mid/wing ( joke ) then when we where fucked he brought him back against QPR he scored after 33 seconds overrated no underrated yes , most skilful player ever to wear the shirt .

Fucking loved Kinkladze

With the exception of maybe De Jong and Kinkladze, the vast majority of players chosen are not rated that highly around here. How can you say Mcmanaman was overrated when he's universally despised round these parts as a player? I guess City legend Danny Mills was overrated too.

This thread should have more controversy, given how being overrated works. So in the spirit of that I'll throw a player into the mix: Fernandinho.

Has he been a fantastic player? Of course. Is he a City legend? He should very much be considered one.

But you can still be brilliant and overrated (eg Scholes). Fernandinho just isn't on the level as the likes of Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne, or Kompany. He's a clever, disciplined, all rounded midfielder but he's neither a truly world class defender, or attacker, or midfield general like the players above. In the same way we loved De Jong for his efforts defensively in an attacking side, we really love Fern for his efforts in these super attacking teams he's been in (Plus his growth under Pep has been a great watch).

He was to Touré what De Jong was to Barry. Just as important as Yaya, but not as good.

To be clear, I'm not saying he's anything less than a great player. Just overrated.

Drink driving related iirc.

Bodak didn’t get a hat-trick in that game, but he scored a great lob to finish the game off at 3-1. Was at home and I think it was the 4th round, 1981/2, the season after we were runners up (all iirc!)
Cheers. I trust your iircs more than I trust my iircs!

A majority of the time with us when "fit" he was exceptional, a debut made in heaven and a goal against Wolves at Maine Road, I think on Boxing Day that was a worldie. Happy days.
My mind is fading but I was in the Kippax that day. Over the shoulder volley??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.