Players you wished had stayed longer

Also hated Ferguson. So he had all the qualifications. Quite a bellend in his own way, it has to be said. But he was absolutely the right man in the right place at the right time. Just what we needed at that point. I wonder how a Pep-Carlito relationship would have turned out. Either he would have turned him into a Ballon d'Or level footballer, or it would have been a crockery-throwing divorce within weeks.

Pep would love him, he never left anything on the pitch.

article-0-1316EF78000005DC-455_308x185.jpg

Probably not appropriate, but that sign next to that advertising board....

(not for one minute am I suggesting this should happen btw!)

A classic example of buying a young player who has potential to be world class in his preferred position - then not giving them a run and dropping them in and out as a utility player. I remember him playing a league cup game as a CB and he looked class and said to my mate we should just play him there now every game. He was on the bench in the next league game.

We did the same with Savic and Nastasic, both of whom looked to have the potential to be regulars and certainly no worse than Demichelis, Otamendi or Mangala. Nastasic never seemed to be forgiven for the cock-up with Joe Hart that gifted Chelsea a winner even though it was just as much Joe's fault.

Trevor Francis, nominated by several people, is an obvious one. In terms of one I wish we'd got earlier, I'd nominate Gerry Gow. He wasn't as good as Colin Bell, obviously, but I think if we'd taken him from Bristol City when Bell received his injury he could have been a top player for us. He certainly had a lot more ability than many gave him credit for and would have strengthened our midfield alongside Hartford and Owen. He was a bit wasted in all those relegation battles at Ashton Gate.

Trevor Francis, nominated by several people, is an obvious one. In terms of one I wish we'd got earlier, I'd nominate Gerry Gow. He wasn't as good as Colin Bell, obviously, but I think if we'd taken him from Bristol City when Bell received his injury he could have been a top player for us. He certainly had a lot more ability than many gave him credit for and would have strengthened our midfield alongside Hartford and Owen. He was a bit wasted in all those relegation battles at Ashton Gate.

That's a great call. Gerry was known as a fierce tackling, fire breathing midfielder but I was really surprised to see that there was far more to his game than a physical presence. Both he & Ali Bernarbia were sadly near the end of their careers when they joined us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.