Peter Barnes

Just looked Peter Barnes up, and, bloody hell - he played for about 25 clubs in his career.
Was he at Chorlton Park Junior school, late '60's ?

I know Peter socially and what a great guy he is, so modest, difficult to get him to talk about himself but football, he would chat all night some of the stories he tells are hilarious: My favourite Barnes Goal is when he was put through and then danced around a play dummy Pat Jennings they chip the ball In the net Number 7 in this sequence

Number 4 is a personal favourite of mine :-)

Jeez, that took me back. I remember reading the paper on the bus going into town about Barnes & Owen leaving and I shed a tear or two, not a good look for an 18 year old lad.

I've just checked and that Summer transfer window really was crap.

Peter Barnes
Gary Owen
Dave Watson
Kenny Clements
Brian Kidd
Mick Channon
Colin Bell

The following season we lost Asa Hartford & Mike Doyle as well. Talk about ripping the heart out of the club.

No wonder I was depressed.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-city/transfers/verein/281/saison_id/1979
About us selling Kenny Clements? !

I actually liked Kenny Clements, he was a good honest pro, he was also really easy to identify from anywhere in the ground.
Wasn’t he on the ground staff before he started playing. I am sure he made his debut at vile along with Paul Power. I also remember him saying he was nytid fan. The BIFFO’s love him.

Yes and the tv cameras were there showing it live.When presented with the Award he was like a poor rabbit caught in the headlights and words could not come out of his mouth.It really was a bad moment for him but as you say what a player.One of my favourite goals was our 5-0 demolition of Spurs at home on the last day of the season and he dinked the wonderful Pat Jennings for our 5th goal I think it was.Spurs were relegated that day !
One of the greatest goals to grace Maine Rd; it wasn't the last day of the season though. We played two more matches after it.

I've met Peter Barnes and Tommy Booth at a function and what great, friendly guys they both are. Good craic between them, both down to earth and a good laugh. Peter agree is very modest indeed. Hope he's progressing well with his hip.
Peter Barnes has good taste - drinks Guinness. Tommy Booth, not so good. They are always propping up the bar at the Ardwick (or at least they were up to a month or so ago before the whole world bloody changed!). Not sure if they are meant to be there in an official capacity, just seemed to be sat at the end of the bar, and good on them!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.