COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
CAN YOU CITE A SOURCE FOR THAT?

...Other than that they'd had "onboard quarantine inspections" (checking for fever) on flights from most places since April because of worries about influenza.
The 3rd article down.
Taiwan first learned of the then-unidentified severe respiratory disease in Wuhan on December 17, Chen said. The island’s Centres for Disease Control contacted mainland authorities and the World Health Organisation about the possibility of human-to-human transmission on December 31, he said.
It goes on to say they introduced temperature checks at airports immediately on flights from Wuhan.

I can can dig up other interviews with Mr Chen if you want. There are plenty of them.

Last edited:
Why should I let it go?

The government of the 2nd most powerful country on earth is covering up epidemics and tens of thousands of deaths. How can you let it go?

I’m certainly not going to when people are acting as apologists for them.

We all get that there needs to be questions asked of China and their government as regarding these wet markets. It’s terrible and needs addressing.

What is weird, is that you and a few other prominent posters are hammering loads of threads demanding China needing to be taken to account.

I don’t disagree. However, we’ve created this culture about having to be outraged about something and that having to be the main agenda.

it isn’t at the moment. China could shut all wet markets forever. China could nuke themselves and kill every single one of them and it not matter to the predicament we are in.

Ask yourself. As you take your final breaths, should you be unlucky enough to be struck down with this virus, will you still be berating the Chinese government or apologising to the nurse for potentially giving her the virus because our government haven’t sent them PPE, or that it was out of date and useless.

The 3rd article down.

It goes on to say they introduced temperature checks at airports immediately on flights from Wuhan.

I can can dig up other interviews with Mr Chen if you want. There are plenty of them.
Feel free. But the source article doesn't say what you said.

"Taiwan first learned of the then-unidentified severe respiratory disease in Wuhan on December 17, Chen said. The island’s Centres for Disease Control contacted mainland authorities and the World Health Organisation about the possibility of human-to-human transmission on December 31, he said.

"But when neither group responded helpfully, the island started to require inbound passengers and crew members from Wuhan flights to undergo health checks, Chen said."

So not "immediately" on December 17...

First of all I’m inside all day every day, who I post about on here makes zero difference in the outside world and the response to this disease. All we’re doing is chatting about it. So playing the blame game or not makes little difference. I’d hope we’re all obeying the advice and rules and that’s all we can do.

The pushback is purely down to an anti-western, pro-east approach some of the modern left has nailed its flag to. The same poster I’m arguing with who’s refusing to even acknowledge any wrong doing of the country in which this spread from, is running up records for anti-UK government posts.

Back to the actual topic. Taiwan obviously knew it was transmissible of H2H as they stopped travel from China and considering their location, they’ve had the greatest response to this out of everyone.

They knew very early the dangers and yet it escaped the Chinese Government and WHO? Not a chance mate, not a chance.

Japan are arguing the WHO and China are allies and involved together. I’m absolutely certain China lied, I’m reasonably confident the WHO protected them.

China did enforce a lockdown after the first published death, again I’m not having their figures, but this was already far too late and was spread to thousands of people. They enforced the lockdown when they had no choice as they’d lost control.

It’s important to tell the truth with your figures and nobody, not even their own poor citizens, believe a word they’re saying. Other countries may have thought they’d beat it and have copied their strategy, that’s how important it is.

The UK government does deserve criticism, the PPE, testing and the fact people were walking through our airports without any further regulations was a disgrace.

But they’re not even half as culpable as China is.
Re your point:

"The same poster I’m arguing with who’s refusing to even acknowledge any wrong doing of the country in which this spread from, is running up records for anti-UK government posts."

I would make 2 comments:

1. It seems important to some of the hard(er) left posters that the opportunity should not be missed to use this disaster to bash the UK government. You raising questions for discussion about its origin and where blame could/should lie - is an unwelcome distraction for them.

I would think that there should be space for appropriate challenge, criticism and indeed (shock horror) praise of the government actions and responses - but also space to discuss the origins of this disease and what should be done following recovery. There should not be a close down of such discussion just to fuel the whims of the government haters.

2. There needs to be care taken not to stray into the political areas which is really stuff for the other thread.

I had expected to come onto this thread and read quite a few views on the news that was emerging yesterday about the production of ventilators and how this could be positive for the UK.

Last edited:
Which has to be bollocks as why would the governments react like this if it’s less lethal than normal Flu?

Maybe as a response to mass hysteria induced by people on social media shrieking their doomsday prophesies, abusing those who don't agree with them and reporting each death with disturbing glee all without the necessary data to have an informed opinion.

We saw the result and, at the same time, the real nature of people as they rushed to the shops to strip the shelves, not for old people, not for others, but for themselves. Wholly unnecessary, but what people do when they are frightened and panicking. It's not a huge step from there to looting and, from there, to lawlessness. In my opinion, the lockdown isn't about the virus, it's about controlling the hysteria.

Besides, I had it at Christmas.

Fuck me, this thread has morphed into one of the political threads with everyone bitching & arguing.
Fuck social distancing, we should have forum distancing

Fuck me, this thread has morphed into one of the political threads with everyone bitching & arguing.
Fuck social distancing, we should have forum distancing
Yeah, there’s always going to be some overlap but let’s try and keep the political arguing to the other thread please. Let’s tone down some of the anti-China rhetoric whilst we’re at it too. Criticising their government’s handling of this is fine, but stigmatising an entire nation is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.