Most underrated player to play for city

I always liked Mike Sheron, I’d have only watched him at around 12/14 years old but thought he looked natural, a nice passer and good football brain
Always liked Sheron.i was aware of him in the youth team as an old time City fan i used to booze with
Jackie from Blackley used to watch him in the reserves....He was a very intelligent striker/inside forward..a very good football brain and excellent touch....I can remember prob his finest hour..(unless anyone can remember different..) was Everton away ,march april time one year,he got two i think in a 3-1 win,David White scored the other from distance, a corker! Anyway, Sheron always looked to me,a proper player,bit lightweight,and not the fastest, but he had a good football brain.....hence you saying he looked natural,i agree
Edit: there are prob a lot of other Sheron moments/goals but i was drinking a lot of ale in those days...was there a goal v utd in a derby at Maine rd?
I do remember Blues shouting ""Sheron ! Sheron!" mimiicking the way other fans shouted "Shearer"
who of course was the greatest English striker around,at that time.he was bloody good for us,for a short time.

Last edited:
Never understood why Richard Edghill was on the end of so much abuse, a blue through and through and a great defender until his confidence was shot to pieces by the crowd
He was being touted as a candidate for England at one point, but was totally shot after a mistake or two for City.

I met him at the City Circle do a few years ago. Everyone was taking pictures with Andy Morrison & Peter Barnes, whilst Edghill stood back & watched. Me & the youngest went across to get a picture, & he seemed really surprised.

I seriously felt bad for what we did to him. My boy didn't have a clue who any of them were, so I bigged them all up as proper City Legends, Edghill especially.

Two mentions for Tommy Hutch and one for Peter Beagrie. They both deserve more. Well done the people who suggeated them.

I was quite enjoying this thread till I saw mention of Paul Sugrue (the worst City player I ever saw and another one of Allison's inspired choices) and then Barry Conlon. Quite upset me.

One player who always gave of his best was one I've not seen mentioned - Kenny Clements.

Solid player was Kenny at both full back and centre half. A game that sticks in mind is the 84/85 season home to Sheffield United about Easter we needed a win to keep in the promotion race, game was awful and Kenny had a shocker getting loads of stick. But we scored twice in the last ten minutes in similar fashion, Jim Tolmie got the first and Kenny the second always remember him doing a forward roll as part of his celebration as he didn't score many

If he tried in his last season with us he could have been here today.
Drove me mental his last season with us, he became a fuckin shithouse of a player who quite obv couldn’t be arsed, which is not how he should be remembered really because he did so many good things for us

He was being touted as a candidate for England at one point, but was totally shot after a mistake or two for City.

I met him at the City Circle do a few years ago. Everyone was taking pictures with Andy Morrison & Peter Barnes, whilst Edghill stood back & watched. Me & the youngest went across to get a picture, & he seemed really surprised.

I seriously felt bad for what we did to him. My boy didn't have a clue who any of them were, so I bigged them all up as proper City Legends, Edghill especially.
He had the bottle to step up at wembley, he’ll always have my respect for that alone

I was sooooh excited ,as a teenager when John Bond signed Tommy Hutch!!! It was like wow..we ve got thst crazy 'old' cov left winger!! Brilliant!! Peter Barnes had bin my idol.....Then God sent me Tommy Hutchinson.brilliant player.even at 34 years of age.gave his all for City..and was a loyal long standing servant at Coventry ...supplying Ian Wallace and Big Mck Ferguson.....
When John Bond announced the signings of Hutch and Bobby McDonald..who i didn't know very much about..i went mental!! And when Gerry Gow came to toughen us u..Wow! Just Wow!! As an out of town Blue.....i could just feel the vibe..... i just knew we were gonna do somat....if not for cheating ref alf grey and livarpool.....(surprise suprise...) that 1980/1981 could have ended up as one of the top seasons in our history...with just a bit of luck in the Fa cup final.........
United were doing next to the square root of fuck all...jt was all City City City....Bond was effective for just a short time really...but what a ride.
Funny because at the time (I was about 15) I thought all three were really uninspiring signings, how wrong was I, three of the most influential signings the club have ever made imo, and it was quire a simple strategy really, good solid pro's, experience in every department, you're right, it was short, but a fantastic ride whilst it lasted.

I've told this story before, and I'll tell it again, because Edgy deserves that, and it shows just much he loved this club despite the totally unwarranted shit he took, but a friend of mine was out in town one night stood at the bar, turns round and Edgy is stood next to him, now my mate is a HUGE blue, but with a bit of a weird sense of humour, so goes "Aight Richard, you still playing for that shit team" ? Edgy was having none of it and was ready to take his coat off then and there, luckily my friend managed to get in quickly that he was a blue himself and just having a laugh and the whole thing took a different direction.

As fans, I always think we let this lad down, like we did with other players, players like Paul Power, Clive Wilson and Dave Bennett, lads who would have run through brick walls for the club, imagine as fans getting the chance they did, a dream come true playing for the club you supported, and making a mistake and your own fans turning on you to such an extent it actually left you psychologically damaged, always been a sense of shame for me this one, and no coincidence the above 3 went on to win major honours or have very good careers with other clubs.

I was sooooh excited ,as a teenager when John Bond signed Tommy Hutch!!! It was like wow..we ve got thst crazy 'old' cov left winger!! Brilliant!! Peter Barnes had bin my idol.....Then God sent me Tommy Hutchinson.brilliant player.even at 34 years of age.gave his all for City..and was a loyal long standing servant at Coventry ...supplying Ian Wallace and Big Mck Ferguson.....
When John Bond announced the signings of Hutch and Bobby McDonald..who i didn't know very much about..i went mental!! And when Gerry Gow came to toughen us u..Wow! Just Wow!! As an out of town Blue.....i could just feel the vibe..... i just knew we were gonna do somat....if not for cheating ref alf grey and livarpool.....(surprise suprise...) that 1980/1981 could have ended up as one of the top seasons in our history...with just a bit of luck in the Fa cup final.........
United were doing next to the square root of fuck all...jt was all City City City....Bond was effective for just a short time really...but what a ride.

Mine Road was packed for the LC semi against the dippers..

When Kevin scored, I was swallowed up in the crowd, when I resurfaced, the Dippers were on the attack and I had no idea that our 'goal' had been disallowed..

I thought we were winning for a good few minutes before it dawned on me we'd been fcuked over..!

Cheating ****'s then and diving, VAR assisted cheating ****' s now..!

Did you sing 'John Bond we love you' to the Grandma tune from the St Winnifrids school choir?

I did.. Ha!

For a short period back then, watching City was brilliant, until the wheels came off of course..

Still followed them all over but it took a while to recapture the sparkle..

We're not too bad now though..!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.