COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sky news said earlier it could take up to the middle of April before we get to 25,000 tests a day!!! Not good news really. If we dont now the full scale of how many people have got it, how can they predict/guestimate how many will die??

Deep down very few are surprised, but that doesn't stop our heads exploding and feeling fucking sick and terrified by it. Most of us have been anxiously hoping what we're seeing in Spain and Italy won't happen here. It looks like it'll get pretty closed to it. Surprised or not, it doesn't make it any less sickening to try and digest, especially after the last couple of days looking semi-decent... a leap like that is a hammer blow. Even if expected.

That’s fair enough, maybe the couple of days where it dropped brought abit of false hope that we were somehow going to have it a lot better than others.

I still think we won’t hit Italy or Spain numbers if we manage to keep the NHS at capacity.

I wonder how long it will be before we hear about the first supermarket vans being hi jacked, can definitely see it happening

I get the points you're trying to make @domalino, but if people are mortified over 400 deaths, then effectively telling them to get used it and saying 20,000 is a good goal isn't exactly going to make anyone feel better is it? Especially getting frustrated when clearly upset people don't enjoy hearing it. You seem a lovely, intelligent lad, but you're being a little tone 'death' here.

Hearing that tens of thousands of deaths, while spending several months away from loved ones, whilst all the time locked in a house, with less money than before, while suffering severe anxiety that they or their loved ones may pass, is actually quite a good goal, is not *ever* going to reassure the vast majority - even if it is logical. So maybe try to understand that.

What you're saying is right, technically, but people have a damn good reason to not want to hear that that is good right now. People want to hear actual good news (better treatments etc), not *only* tens of thousands may die! It's not fair of you to expect people to go 'okay, that's good then!' mate. I actually know you mean well too. Just saying as its something to consider, for many others on here too.

It might help the discussion if the original comments were seen in their proper context from March 17th. I sense it was a poorly chosen word that has been too often read out of context:

'Giving evidence in a parliamentary select committee, Sir Patrick Vallance said the number of infected across the U.K. might have been between 35,000 and 55,000 at the moment.

The chair of the Health and Social Care Committee and the former Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt asked Vallance if the British government's approach involved reducing the numbers of deaths from hundreds of thousands to tens of thousands.

"That is the hope, that we can get it down to that,” Vallance said.

He said: "To put that into perspective, every year in seasonal flu the number of deaths is thought to be about 8,000.

"So if we can get this [number of coronavirus cases] down to numbers of 20,000 and below, that is a good outcome."

"It is still horrible. That is still an enormous amount of deaths,” he added.'

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/coronavirus-uk-20-000-or-fewer-deaths-good-outcome/1769436

For 'good' read 'better' and it makes more sense- still painful, but 'good' has to be seen in its context.

It isn't this thread. It's life, TV, radio and the internet. There's not a single conversation anyone can really have right now that isn't framed around coronavirus. Everything is. People can't ignore this. No point pretending otherwise. Telling people to just look away is not gonna work is it?

Edit - you've missed my point anyway. My point to domalino was more about bed side manner. I didn't explain that clear enough perhaps, so sorry. Once again, I don't think many are surprised by these numbers, they're just terrified. Maybe people who are handling this a bit better should understand why some others aren't. It would be helpful.
All I`m suggesting is that this thread may not be "your cup of tea" if you can`t understand that this is a reality check.By the way this is no worse than the match day thread. ;)

Deep down very few are surprised, but that doesn't stop our heads exploding and feeling fucking sick and terrified by it. Most of us have been anxiously hoping what we're seeing in Spain and Italy won't happen here. It looks like it'll get pretty closed to it. Surprised or not, it doesn't make it any less sickening to try and digest, especially after the last couple of days looking semi-decent... a leap like that is a hammer blow. Even if expected.
On average 1,400 people die every day in Britain. Even without COVID-19 around.

Even if the 393 from today added to that making it 1,793... about 1,900 babies will have been born today in Britain.

I know it just makes people a figure and is quite cold, but I think it is something nice to remember. 1,900 families are buzzing today!

In the UK, on average around 1400 people die each day.

How many 'extra' deaths a die are occurring due to COVID-19? I wonder if there's figures on that.

We won't really know until this is all over. Even then it will be an underestimate because if you think we've reduced traffic by about 70% there's fewer people dying in road accidents etc.

Can’t find a shop open to buy any pellets:)

Ha ha I actually have half a box. I haven't used it in donkeys years and had forgotten I had it until this kind of mad max scenario started. At close range to the head it could kill you, the problem is I have to reload after every shot, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.