UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm certain one of the Rags partners is an oil company?

Just had a look....its Gulf Oil.
Gulf oil is actually an American concern, but as we all know, American oil money isn’t as dirty as Arab oil money - though I wish someone could tell me how you measure the dirt of oil money at all, and also we understand that American businessmen always act in the most upright and moral manner...don’t we?
While we’re here, on the subject of state subsidies for currently struggling airlines, I imagine (and it’s not a huge leap) that Aeroflot, one of the sponsors of the raggies and the state owned airline of Russia will be receiving financial support from their government. That’s the same government that allegedly (?)has dissidents and journalists murdered and flies assassins - 1st class I would think - over here to kill people in our public parks.
So the next time you get a lecture on human rights abuse....well......you know.

The question of ultimate authority only becomes an issue if there is a verdict from the English courts which is different to that of the ECJ, Suppose that the ECJ did lay down that football is a "sporting exception" and that in the interests of the game UEFA could forbid investment by an owner. This seems so improbable as to be impossible but let us suppose. The only course of action left to City would be an appeal to the English courts which by then will not be bound by the judgements of the ECJ. The English courts would almost certainly find that FFP contravened our competition laws and that City were not compelled to pay the fine. It is hard to imagine that UEFA would quash the fine or the ban, but if City really pushed things they could apply to our courts for an injunction preventing other English teams competing in the CL or the EL or any other UEFA tournament until City's injustice was remedied. The forces pushing for a settlement would then not be the law but the loss of TV coverage from the biggest payer and loss of sponsorship ... and, of course the wailings of certain clubs which might feel compelled to write letters to UEFA, and UEFA and City might be more prepared to compromise. Whether City or UEFA would wish to go to these lengths....
I think we've lost track of where we were. My point was simple.... UEFA are a European organisation, based & operating within the European Union. I can just imagine a Chinese team applying to play in their competitions, but saying "We don't like this." "We don't recognise that." They'd be told where to swing it mate.

UEFA are ultimately governed by the ECJ. If English teams want to compete in European competitions, what has this got to do with English courts & laws?

Anyone who doesn't like UEFA, don't compete. No one's forcing anyone. The only recourse we have to overturn FFP is through the ECJ, not Manchester County Court.

I think we've lost track of where we were. My point was simple.... UEFA are a European organisation, based & operating within the European Union. I can just imagine a Chinese team applying to play in their competitions, but saying "We don't like this." "We don't recognise that." They'd be told where to swing it mate.

UEFA are ultimately governed by the ECJ. If English teams want to compete in European competitions, what has this got to do with English courts & laws?

Anyone who doesn't like UEFA, don't compete. No one's forcing anyone. The only recourse we have to overturn FFP is through the ECJ, not Manchester County Court.
Anybody who doesn’t like UEFA, don’t compete? Really? UEFA is a European governing body that governs like most of these bodies, by consent. Unfortunately a few clubs hold all the power.

It isn’t dissimilar to the European Union itself. A couple of countries hold the power. Eventually when everyone realises, (like Italy, Spain and Portugal in this Covid-19 crisis) that the European Union cannot and will not help them, you get 88% spikes in people wanting to leave in polls (Italy).

You might be right. Maybe all the clubs that realise they are only supposed to have a supporting role to a few teams of Harlem Globetrotters will finally decline the invitation and the UEFA match day officials will struggle with which teams to give favour to, and who to fine for sponsor logos being 2mm too large with those “exacting standards”.

I suppose a question for the future is who will fund the ECJ as more countries leave the EU? Albania? North Macedonia?

I don't think anybody lost track – it's more that your point is... well, wrong!
Yes UEFA are European body, but their laws are not the laws of Europe, they are laws which the executives of UEFA created... and like any organisation, the laws they impose have to abide by actual Law... the whole reasoning against the legality of FFP is that the very law UEFA seek to impose actual contravenes genuine EU laws about restricting trade.
UEFA are no more a legal body than say Working Men's Clubs were... they used to have in their laws (or regulations) that women were not allowed in the vault, for example... many, many organisations have had 'laws' that, upon legal challenge, were scrapped.

Any laws made by the governing bodies of UEFA, would still have to be able to stand up in a court of law. They that is UEFA cannot say our laws override any laws which the European Union bring in. We run football and we decide which European laws will abide and which do not, and not any European court of law or any court of a country.

I don't think anybody lost track – it's more that your point is... well, wrong!
Yes UEFA are European body, but their laws are not the laws of Europe, they are laws which the executives of UEFA created... and like any organisation, the laws they impose have to abide by actual Law... the whole reasoning against the legality of FFP is that the very law UEFA seek to impose actual contravenes genuine EU laws about restricting trade.
UEFA are no more a legal body than say Working Men's Clubs were... they used to have in their laws (or regulations) that women were not allowed in the vault, for example... many, many organisations have had 'laws' that, upon legal challenge, were scrapped.
I think they are in escence rules not laws. Just as the theme tune is not an anthem.

Last edited:
Anybody who doesn’t like UEFA, don’t compete? Really? UEFA is a European governing body that governs like most of these bodies, by consent. Unfortunately a few clubs hold all the power.

It isn’t dissimilar to the European Union itself. A couple of countries hold the power. Eventually when everyone realises, (like Italy, Spain and Portugal in this Covid-19 crisis) that the European Union cannot and will not help them, you get 88% spikes in people wanting to leave in polls (Italy).

You might be right. Maybe all the clubs that realise they are only supposed to have a supporting role to a few teams of Harlem Globetrotters will finally decline the invitation and the UEFA match day officials will struggle with which teams to give favour to, and who to fine for sponsor logos being 2mm too large with those “exacting standards”.

I suppose a question for the future is who will fund the ECJ as more countries leave the EU? Albania? North Macedonia?

Are you really blaming the EU for the current situation in relation to Covid have you no shame ?

You clearly do not understand how the EU works that’s for sure

The EU works by consent it only has power competency where the member states have consented to it taking control power from them there is no EU NHs to fight Covid which came from China

That being said they have diverted money from structural funds to fight Covid the European Central Bank (ECB) has initiated rate cuts and Quantitive Easing to prop up the economy The EU has a medical procurement system specifically because of the crisis it did not exist before that’s getting more equipment at reduced rates due to economies of scale we rejected an offer to be a part of this They offered us a place despite not actually being an EU member and despite us treating them like shit for the last 40 years and claim to have lost the email The EU will relax it’s spending rules for the Euro area once this is over

Germany and other EU member states have offered to fly our citizens home from countries they are stranded in but again we refused because some people are still fighting the Second World War

Germany has taken sick people from France Italy Spain

a couple of countries hold all the power ? Really who would they be ? France Germany ? How about us with all our opt outs rebates etc ? how about how about those countries that have opted out of the Euro ? How about the Eastern block that stopped the EU refugee policy ? Or how about Greece that was able to keep getting bailed out and changed terms ? Just face it you do not have a clue about the EU

O and how is Brexit going ? Got spanked in the first phase of negotiations the government do not understand the second phase or if they do they are denying us honest of how it will go the transition will almost certainly be extended due to Covid

Anyway back to the football UEFA have to follow EU and Swiss law so the idea that you just have to accept their rules is just rubbish

Are you really blaming the EU for the current situation in relation to Covid have you no shame ?

The EU works by consent it only has power competency where the member states have consented to it taking control power from them there is no EU NHs to fight Covid which came from China

That being said they have diverted money from structural funds to fight Covid the European Central Bank (ECB) has initiated rate cuts and Quantitive Easing to prop up the economy The EU has a medical procurement system specifically because of the crisis it did not exist before that’s getting more equipment at reduced rates due to economies of scale we rejected an offer to be a part of this They offered us a place despite not actually being an EU member and despite us treating them like shit for the last 40 years and claim to have lost the email The EU will relax it’s spending rules for the Euro area once this is over

Germany and other EU member states have offered to fly our citizens home from countries they are stranded in but again we refused because some people are still fighting the Second World War

a couple of countries hold all the power ? Really who would they be ? France Germany ? How about us with all our opt outs rebates etc ? how about how about those countries that have opted out of the Euro ? How about the Eastern block that stopped the EU refugee policy ? Or how about Greece that was able to keep getting bailed out and changed terms ? Just face it you do not have a clue about the EU

O and how is Brexit going ? Got spanked in the first phase of negotiations the government do not understand the second phase or if they do they are denying us honest of how it will go the transition will almost certainly be extended due to Covid

Anyway back to the football UEFA have to follow EU and Swiss law so the idea that you just have to accept their rules is just rubbish
Well said. (doffs cap)

Pedantic note, just to correct a misapprehension that occurs both here and elsewhere.
Since the Treaty of Lisbon, the Euro has become an integral part of the EU. Thus, all countries are required to join it. There is some leeway in the vague wording, but eventually all will join. You cannot opt out of the Euro. Two exceptions are UK and Denmark because their opt outs are enshrined in the treaty of Maastricht. Brexit, of course, changes our position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.