League Cup Newcastle '76

Day before the game,didn't have a ticket. Me and my old dad were having a pint in the Cotton Tree in Withington,Ken Barnes walks in,gets yakking to the old fella.We left with two tickets,no charge.

Great day and night,

Stayed over somewhere in West London,had a big drink in the Cockney Pride and around Piccadilly Circus with some Geordies.No trouble with them just some gobby cockneys,probably rag fans

DOYLE EATS MAGPIES
Yep well done.
IIRC, the runner up was "Happy to be Blue".
Got 3 tickets for the game, as my Dad said he'd like to go to his first-ever football match. At 10:30 the night before, he bottled it, and me and my brother went together. Sold the ticket at face value to the first blue asking for one, which paid for the petrol.
That was my fourth visit to Wembley in eight years - a forerunner of things to come, albeit 40 years later.
(Not forgetting the 2 Tottingham matches in 1981)

Was only watching the highlights this morning , didnt make the original game because we could only get one ticket and we needed three(it used to be difficult to get League Cup Final tickets:) , so ended up watching on the telly , what a great day , the highlights i watched earlier brought back some nice memories. Dennis's overhead kick has gone down in folklore ,and when you talk about our greatest players Tueart is up there with the best of them.

Funny, I was 13 but have very little recollection of the day apart from the overhead kick and getting on a tube packed full of black and white. No idea whether we stayed over or how we got there! Good start to my ‘City career’ though and made my mind up to buy the first of 44 years of season tickets in 76/77....or is it only 43 if this season gets canned....?

Have vague memories of travelling down on a coach with my late dad. Remember the goals and remember lots of geordies after the game wishing us well. No memory of coach journey back at all

Went on a Fieldsends coach from Salford Precinct with my mum’s twat of a husband at the time. My Nan had bought me a new parka and slipped me a crafty quid for the day. I got fish and chips outside the ground for 50 pence (or ten bob) And bought a programme. He was totally non-plussed as to where I got the money from. One of my then 11 year old victories over the bald headed twat. My mum kicked him out three years later. Dennis Tueart’s goal still gladdens my heart to this day. Peter Barnes does too it was right In line in front of me.

I hadn’t been able to renew my season ticket that season due to being out of work and about to start an MA course at Manchester University. LatE on a friend supplied me with a ticket. This was payback for the ticket I got her for the Wolves LC final two years earlier.

I was booked into a student conference in Central London for the weekend but ducked out to drive to Wembley for the match. The conference was a mega bore anyway.

It was a cracking match with a memorable winning goal.

After the match I decided to drive straight back to Manchester rather than return to the conference. The traffic was appalling. I was crawling along for a couple of hours when my car ran out of petrol. The three litre MG was a bit hungry on fuel at the best of times. I managed to walk to a garage to get a can of petrol and get the car going and drove home.

That turned out to be my last match at the old Wembley stadium. The next year I moved to Birmingham and later to Coventry and Leicester.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.